You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-23 15:45:23

nagoola

creating a local mirror of repository for home use

Hi,

I am thinking of syncing the whole arch mirror (at least current and extra). i could just download the whole directory from the net including the db file - though i am a bit scared that as it takes a while somebody could update something during the download process and the whole thing would not work anymore - due to a db file that doesnt work any longer.
how could i do that as i try to avoid creating my own repo with gensync - i want the original one :-)

thanks for any help provided!!!

#2 2005-02-28 04:24:16

skoal
Website

Re: creating a local mirror of repository for home use

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.  But, I synced my machine with the Arch repo's using "abs".  I make my own packages in `/var/abs/local` and have my custom package repo on `/home/pkgs/`(using gensync).  Wheenver I want to customize an Arch package (in `/var/abs/local`), I just copy the entire directory from `/var/abs/<package>` to the local path.

The actual "abs" sync only takes a matter of seconds, since it just downloads the PKBUILDS and any associated patches, scripts, etc, not the actual packages.

There was only 1 occasion that I can remember when the Arch repos were not in sync with mine, right after I had just used "abs" in fact.  It was while rebuilding the "bash" package.  That was an easy enough fix though.  I posted the problem, and before I knew it, the current "bash" package was in sync again within an hour I think.  I think that's a very rare case indeed when I synced and the developers hadn't yet updated the repo with the change.  Either way, just keep resyncing your local "abs" tree and everything will be kept up to date.

#3 2005-03-01 12:12:13

nagoola

Hi,

thanks for your reply. What i really want is pretty simple. I want a local mirror of the whole arch ftp-server. i looked it up and it should fit on a dvd (at least DL). How would I do that in a way that I can use the DVD as a source for pacman afterwards and do not need the internet anymore at all (unless I want to fetch more recent packages)? There must be a way without rebuilding all the packeges from the ABS tree.

Nagoola

#4 2005-03-01 16:42:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I think when people ask this question the answer is to use rsync, but I have no idea how this is done. A forum search might help, its been asked before.

Dusty

#5 2005-04-03 16:43:44

d3c3it
Website

actually I get what your trying to create, in affect it would be kind of a apt-cacher (in debian) which basically creates your own home repo, so if you ever need to reinstall or are installing a new system you dont have to redownload, in effect saving both the mirrors bandwidth and your own.

Im interested in this as i run debian on my laptop currently and im looking at swapping over to arch but i run apt-cacher on my debian server and wanted to setup a simular setup so if i screw anything up i dont waste bandwidth smile

"Covered in blood, Cant understand" - Biffy Clyro

#6 2005-04-03 17:21:32

Spider.007

What I did is install a NFS server and share /var/cache/pacman to all my clients. As one downloads something new it automatically is available to others smile

#7 2005-04-03 18:01:28

d3c3it
Website

i've never touched nfs, i was once starting to set it up on my server but alot of friends/people on mailinglists said dont do it as its unsecure and use samba instead.

currently installing arch on my desktop if i like it ill do my laptop next smile

#8 2005-04-03 18:23:10

Beavis

I think this is probably what your looking for.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Local%20Mirror

#9 2005-04-04 11:51:54

d3c3it
Website

i think this http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Ho … %20Network
is better suited for my use actually. Now heres a challenge, shoehorn that onto a debian system lol

#10 2005-04-04 18:42:06

Beavis

Aha, I missed that particular wiki document that you found there d3c3it. Glad you found what you needed anyway.

Board footer