You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-08 04:09:03

Metallion

Unlocking gnome-keyring at login

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in but since gnome-keyring is obviously part of gnome, I figured it belongs here. So I'm using an email notifier that stores its passwords in the gnome keyring. As a result, whenever I start a gnome-session the first thing that I see is a password prompt to unlock gnome-keyring. I think this is really annoying and would like to have it unlocked automatically a login.

I've been googling around and found at lot of guides telling me to edit the /etc/pam.d/gdm file. The only problem is, I'm not using gdm. My system boots into a standard commandline and then I use startx to start up gnome. Is there any way to unlock the keyring automatically as gnome starts this way? I've been looking at the /etc/pam.d/login file but I'd like to know what I'm doing before I start messing around.

Update:
======
Alright, so I've decided to mess around with the /etc/pam.d/login file after all. It now works when I start gnome for the first time. However, if I shut down gnome and restart it again, it still asks for my keyring password. My guess is that I now make the keyring start and unlock itself on login but it shuts down again with gnome. Therefore I'm still looking for a way to either trigger the unlock on gnome start or stop it from shutting down with gnome.

Last edited by Metallion (2010-08-08 06:14:16)

#2 2010-08-29 15:59:22

michaelfsp

Re: Unlocking gnome-keyring at login

I am suffering from the exact same problem and haven't found any solution (nor do I have much time now to play with the configuration).

Please let us know if you find a solution for this problem.

Cheers

#3 2010-08-29 16:34:17

hokasch

The wiki mentions seahorse (part of gnome-extra), no luck with that?

#4 2010-09-02 21:14:35

king.flasher.dave
Website

I'm suffering from the same issue. My problem originated from modifying my own user password though. Now it is different from the one the keyring uses and I can't set it to the current value.
So basically I have the same "unlock the keyring" problem and it's VERY annoying sad

How do I change the keyring password? sad

[Edit] Just found out wink

Just open seahorse and right-click on the keyring (whichever is your default - you can set that in there, too). To the bottom of the right click menu you'll find "change password".
Solved the problems for me (changing the keyring password to my current user password).

Last edited by king.flasher.dave (2010-09-02 22:25:17)

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.

#5 2010-11-07 21:43:52

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@op are you using auto login?

$ cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf 
# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=squeeze
TimedLoginDelay=5

[security]

[xdmcp]

[greeter]

[chooser]

[debug]

If so, that's your problem.  You can either disable your password keyring (make it blank), or find a more up-to-date guide.

http://maketecheasier.com/auto-unlock-k … 2009/03/14
http://superuser.com/questions/43132/ub … -to-unlock

Last edited by graysky (2010-11-07 21:44:51)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer