You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-08 17:23:31

PiTcA

[Solved] High CPU load by X

So I tried almost everything and I still dont know why /usr/bin/X is eating ~80% of CPU.
When I log in I can use computer in normal speed for about 15 minutes, next X is eating about 80% of CPU. I think that time depends on that, how much I use the computer, sometimes I can only watch a 5 minutes of movie in 720p, sometimes it is 15 minutes of using a browser (chromium-bin from aur). If it slows and i do nothing, X is eating about 20%, but every minimize, maximize, or move the window is a cause of slowdown the computer.
The problem:
Im using arch nvidia drivers. I tried new nvidia drivers and 173xx, but I still have this problem. Xorg-server wasn't actualized for a month so i think that's not a source of problem. I tried also different kernels 2.6.34 and 2.6.35, but nothing changes. Everything starts with no reason when i was on stable packages (so it was kernel 2.6.34, xorg-server-1.8.1.902-1, kde 4.4.3 and probably nvidia 256.44). So i changed to testing, but it helped only for a hour.  I installed new arch from netinstall but it helped for about 6 hours. I tried to make new profile but it also don't change anything. Removing xorg.conf - nothing,I also disabled powermizer it helped for ~6 hours, but after restart it wont help. Seriously guys I have no idea wtf. Ah, lxde was also tested - no result.
I'm not really sure, but it can be after a actualization of kernel and nvidia. But I tested different kernels and nvidia-drivers. May it be caused by kernel? Where can I find kernel older than 2.6.34 and nvidia working with it?
Xorg.0.log - http://www.nopaste.pl/sca
no xorg.conf
htop - http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5778 … kranu9.png
edit: also tested vesa drivers - no result.

Last edited by PiTcA (2010-08-10 19:05:11)

#2 2010-08-09 00:15:28

lagagnon
Website

Re: [Solved] High CPU load by X

You are running KDE Plasma. Try turning off all that video enhancement crap and then see what top tells you...

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-08-09 00:29:06

PiTcA

lagagnon wrote:

You are running KDE Plasma. Try turning off all that video enhancement crap and then see what top tells you...

As I said "Ah, lxde was also tested - no result.".Btw i have 2GB of ram, 3,2GHz CPU (dualcore) and nvidia 8400M 256MB, so I think, that it is enought to run all video enhancement wink 2 weeks ago it was...
When i turn off compositing nothing changes - X eat also a lot of CPU.

Btw, strace log: http://www.nopaste.pl/scr

#4 2010-08-09 16:04:06

lagagnon
Website

There does not appear to be anything untowards with your xorg log file. What I would do is run "ps aux" and start killing off, one by one, your user processes (ps ux will show them all), and see if one of your apps is causing the high X usage, and narrow it down that way. Then start killing off system processes, particularly graphics stuff associated with KDE and find out if any of them are affecting X somehow.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#5 2010-08-09 19:24:33

onzlaught

Hi, first i would highly recommend you to try with the qt raster graphic engine. Open some QT heavy application, like amarok, with "--graphicssystem raster" and see if it improves... you can try starting plasma with that parameter too. If it works you can build QT with that graphic engine as the default one.
If you still have problems and you are using firefox heavily that could be the cause, at least for me with desktop effects turned on firefox lags a bit... i opted to use konqueror for daily use!

#6 2010-08-09 20:03:44

Labello
Website

i have got the very same problem.

nvidia graphics and at some random point x starts to use much cpu. nearly 100% of one of my 4 cores. but still gpu-temperature stays low (so not more stress on my gpu)

i can add that watching video in vlc is constantly having lockups of about 50-100ms.

i noticed this behaviour especially after quitting games.

i am on [testing] though. i will do a downgrade and see if the issue still occurs.

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#7 2010-08-10 19:03:01

PiTcA

onzlaught wrote:

Hi, first i would highly recommend you to try with the qt raster graphic engine. Open some QT heavy application, like amarok, with "--graphicssystem raster" and see if it improves... you can try starting plasma with that parameter too. If it works you can build QT with that graphic engine as the default one.

Yeah it helped a lot (i used AUR package qt-raster-engine)! Thanks! Now KDE is responding incredibly fast! Bu still the CPU load is high (not by X!), but experience of using is better. I dont know why, but knetworkmanager-svn compilated for about 4 hours, normally something about 20 minutes. Htop doesnt say nothing special. I'll move to stable in a few days (waiting for new KDE), and then i'll eventualy post a new topic. Thanks!
edit: after reboot everything seems to be ok!
edit2: No, it's not ok. After i clicked a link in akregator which opened new tab in chromium (chromium was opened before that) something is eating CPU, but UI works fine. So I'm waiting for KDE in stable tree smile

Last edited by PiTcA (2010-08-10 19:55:42)

Board footer