You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-11 18:32:17

legitimus maximus

[SOLVED] wireless card recognized, lights on, internet not working

Hey.  I just installed arch linux on my acer laptop (an older one... travel mate 2300) and I have a wpc100 linksys PCMIA wireless card.  I installed the core and some of the dev packages (mostly wireless tools, ndiswrapper and similar things) off of the core install disk.  I got the ndiswrapper driver working, and got it to connect with iwconfig.  when i type iwconfig everything shows up right.  it appears to be connected perfectly.

then I go to ping a website...
ping: unknown host google.com
I go to try and run pacman -Syu.... failed retreiving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirrors.kernel.org ; No adress record

so it is connected to the internet but the internet is broken.  haha.

I am connected to the same network on the computer I am posting this from and it works fine.

thanks for any help you can give me here.

Last edited by legitimus maximus (2010-08-11 19:02:40)

#2 2010-08-11 18:39:34

hokasch

Re: [SOLVED] wireless card recognized, lights on, internet not working

Sounds like you haven't configured a DNS server. Check /etc/resolv.conf.

#3 2010-08-11 18:47:01

legitimus maximus

hokasch wrote:

Sounds like you haven't configured a DNS server. Check /etc/resolv.conf.

you are right.  I tried editing it to make it the same as the one on this computer... but then after a reboot it went back to the same.

is there another way you are supposed to edit it?  I bet the answer is really obvious.  I just used nano and saved the file.

#4 2010-08-11 18:51:26

Proofrific

resolv.conf is generated by dhcpcd.  Are you using DHCP to get an IP address?  That is, after you do all the iwconfig stuff, run `dhcpcd wlan0` to connect and get an IP address.  Then, you should have a domain and nameserver set in resolv.conf.

#5 2010-08-11 18:58:51

legitimus maximus

Proofrific wrote:

resolv.conf is generated by dhcpcd.  Are you using DHCP to get an IP address?  That is, after you do all the iwconfig stuff, run `dhcpcd wlan0` to connect and get an IP address.  Then, you should have a domain and nameserver set in resolv.conf.

IT WORKS!

thanks man.

should have come here before wasting 2 hours doing the same shit over and over again.

Board footer