You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-11 23:54:54

lswest
Website

[solved]URxvt and Xdefaults configurations not used

Yesterday I noticed that my middle-mouse button paste from URxvt had stopped working, and today I noticed that seemingly all my configurations (besides fonts) aren't being used in URxvt.  If I run "source .Xdefaults" from a running URxvt, I get the error "no matches found: <option>".  This error is returned for the first line of the configuration, and the following settings were moved from the top to the bottom to see if any other configurations work:

URxvt*perl-ext-common: default,matcher,clipboard
URxvt*perl-ext: xim-onthespot
urxvt*urlLauncher: /usr/bin/firefox
urxvt*matcher.button: 1

The only changes I can think of is adding the xim-onthespot line, the recent update to perl (however, since it occurs on non-perl lines as well, I'm not sure this is important), and the update to rxvt-unicode itself about 8 days ago (the problems could have been present thereafter, I just hadn't noticed).

Has the syntax changed, or is there something blatantly obvious I overlooked?  I have also tried replacing the asterisk with a period (which results in a command not found error).  It seems to me that no one else has posted this problem here yet, but I may have missed it somewhere, and if so, a link would be nice.

#urxvt*perl-lib: /usr/lib/urxvt/perl
urxvt*termName: rxvt-unicode
urxvt*internalBorder:   1
urxvt*loginShell: true
urxvt*background:  rgba:0000/0000/0000/cccc
urxvt*background: [70]#000000
urxvt*foreground:  white
urxvt*transparent: 1
urxvt*colorMode: on
urxvt*cursorBlink: 0
urxvt*depth:    32
urxvt*color0:      #000000
urxvt*color1:      #9e1828
urxvt*color2:      #aece92
urxvt*color3:      #968a38
urxvt*color4:      #414171
urxvt*color5:      #963c59
urxvt*color6:      #418179
urxvt*color7:      #bebebe
urxvt*color8:      #666666
urxvt*color9:      #cf6171
urxvt*color10:     #c5f779
urxvt*color11:     #fff796
urxvt*color12:     #4186be
urxvt*color13:     #cf9ebe
urxvt*color14:     #71bebe
urxvt*color15:     #ffffff
urxvt*fading:    40
#urxvt*tintColor: white
urxvt*shading:   0
urxvt*inheritPixmap: 0
urxvt*scrollBar: 0
urxvt*geometry: 81x22
urxvt*saveLines:1000
urxvt*font: xft:Inconsolata:pixelsize=12:antialias=true:hinting=true
urxvt*boldFont: xft:Inconsolata:pixelsize=12:antialias=true:bold:hinting=true
urxvt*italicFont: xft:Inconsolata:pixelsize=12:antialias=true:italic:autohint=true:hinting=true
urxvt*bolditalicFont: xft:Inconsolata:pixelsize=12:antialias=true:bold:italic:autohint=true:hinting=true
URxvt*preeditType: OnTheSpot,None
URxvt*perl-ext-common: default,matcher,clipboard
URxvt*perl-ext: xim-onthespot
urxvt*urlLauncher: /usr/bin/firefox
urxvt*matcher.button: 1

Xcursor.theme: Vanilla-DMZ-AA
Xcursor.size: 16

Last edited by lswest (2010-08-12 00:28:29)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#2 2010-08-12 00:21:14

Runiq

Re: [solved]URxvt and Xdefaults configurations not used

Well first of all, comments in that file have an exclamation mark in front of them instead of a hash. Does it help if you just replace them?

#3 2010-08-12 00:23:43

hbekel

lswest wrote:

If I run "source .Xdefaults" from a running URxvt, I get the error "no matches found: <option>".

"source" is a bash builtin to execute bash code in the context of the current shell session. The errors you get are due to the fact that it's actually bash trying to run the contents of your .Xdefaults as shell commands. To make changes to an Xdefaults file take effect, use

xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

Changes to Xdefaults should take effect in any case if you restart X, though. Maybe there's something else amiss, but at least sourcing the file is definitely wrong.

#4 2010-08-12 00:30:04

lswest
Website

Ha...thanks you two.  I feel silly for both of those mistakes.  However, my middle-mouse paste still doesn't work.  No idea what could be causing that, but I'll investigate tomorrow.

Thanks again!

*EDIT* The problem lay in that I had no xorg.conf file/hadn't configured my touchpad to emulate a middle-mouse button after the update to the xserver.  Could have sworn I had, but I guess that was my PC.

Last edited by lswest (2010-08-12 14:37:47)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

Board footer