You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-12 19:31:23

jlacroix

Repurposing Netbook For Gaming Set Top Box (Dell Mini 10)

I thought of a fun project to work on at home. I have a Dell Mini 10 netbook, and unfortunately it has the dreaded poulsbo graphics chipset. I haven't tried to install Arch on it yet, but I would like to. I know that when I do, I will likely have graphics problems but I think what I'm trying to do should theoretically be possible with Arch, but wanted to get some advice. It runs Windows XP right now and I hate the fact that it's so hard to run Linux on this thing. (I originally tried with Ubuntu, it constantly freezes under Ubuntu 9.10). The native resolution of this netbook is 1366x768.

Here is what I am thinking. I basically want to run ZSNES, and output the video to my HDTV through HDMI. (It has an HDMI port). I don't think ZSNES would be an issue without hardware acceleration these days, but I could be wrong. Does Arch support the HDMI port on this thing, or is that locked down too?

Also, if anyone has any experience with this Netbook on Arch I would greatly appreciate any tips. If I could maybe just run ZSNES on my HDTV, and perhaps use OpenOffice on the thing, maybe that would satisfy me. Who knows.

Edit: Just an FYI, I couldn't possibly care less about watching Youtube or anything so that doesn't bother me. Even if it ended up booting directly into ZSNES and did nothing else, that would probably be fine by itself.

Last edited by jlacroix (2010-08-12 19:40:31)

Board footer