You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-13 13:36:05

thom_raindog

Simple USB printer

Reading http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUP … CUPS_1.4.x I wonder: has it become pretty well impossible to install something as simple as an usb-connected printer on arch now? Is all this really necessary or is there a "normal" way to get my Canon IP4300 to work (again, after it ran on Gentoo without a hitch)?

#2 2010-08-13 14:43:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Simple USB printer

Impossible? Why so? The same drivers = the same functionality...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-08-13 15:33:48

thom_raindog

It's mostly the USB bit that worries me. Why do I need to tweak stuff before I can even get started on installing the printer? I tested it just now, and Arch will not even begin to recognize my printer unless I blacklist usblp.
That is NOT intuitive to me and a sad and massive regression in my book.

#4 2010-08-13 15:47:11

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

thom_raindog wrote:

It's mostly the USB bit that worries me. Why do I need to tweak stuff before I can even get started on installing the printer? I tested it just now, and Arch will not even begin to recognize my printer unless I blacklist usblp.

You're using Arch. With great power comes great responsibility.

Arch has never set out to be 'intuitive', its a DIY distro. No special effort is made to force you to do things the hard way, yet very little is made to simplify things that you really should know yourself as well.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-08-13 15:52:38

kcirick

thom_raindog wrote:

Why is it a regression? In the wiki it clearly says why usblp is needed to be disabled. To me this isn't a regression, just a change. Not necessarily a bad thing.

#6 2010-08-14 01:53:43

skottish
Forum Fellow

kcirick wrote:
thom_raindog wrote:

Why is it a regression? In the wiki it clearly says why usblp is needed to be disabled. To me this isn't a regression, just a change. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Agreed.

It does come with some challenges, but it's not the fault of Arch. For instance, my Epson R1800 stopped being detected when the CUPS change happened unless I blacklisted usblp. The last time that I checked, the only command line tool that I'm aware of (escputil) to query ink levels doesn't work without usblp. I wrote a script that loads the usblp module, prints the info, and unloads it.

#7 2010-08-14 05:11:27

thom_raindog

I am sorry to put the finger of blame to arch then, will redirect it immediately to Cups and Linux in general wink

#8 2010-08-14 13:27:55

drcouzelis
Website

thom_raindog wrote:

I am sorry to put the finger of blame to arch then, will redirect it immediately to Cups and Linux in general

I hope you don't feel bad about it. I completely agree. For my USB printer, CUPS 1.3 was so easy to setup and CUPS 1.4 was so not. But, whatever, it works.

By the way, this is only a USB issue, correct? I've been considering getting a big old printer cable and connecting my printer to the printer port. My hope is that CUPS will not freak out anymore and I might even be able to get printing working in Haiku.

Also, maybe we should create a new slogan: "Arch is never wrong." wink

Last edited by drcouzelis (2010-08-14 13:28:49)

#9 2010-08-14 13:37:46

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You can blame Apple instead of Arch. They run CUPS wink.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#10 2010-08-14 16:33:04

skottish
Forum Fellow

.:B:. wrote:

You can blame Apple instead of Arch. They run CUPS wink.

Not only runs, but owns. As far as printing is concerned, they're doing good work for the most part.

-- Bump --

Hiya B. I miss chatting with you in the super-secret-moderator-sub-forum.

-- End bump --

Last edited by skottish (2010-08-14 16:35:59)

Board footer