You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-13 17:49:46

Nicky726
Website

[SOLVED] Failed upgrade, PC unbootable, chroot fails (elf/glibc/byobu)

Hello,

I upgraded my machine today while in console byobu session as a normal user using yaourt. Few [core] packages were marked for upgrade, among them sudo and libelf (this one to be replaced by other). After libelf was removed and some other packages upgraded lots of messages "cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"" appeared and terminal hanged. Login to other terminal was impossible the same for rebooting computer from KDM. There are more "cannot execute" messages in logs concerning login and reboot commands. After rebooting machine manually I got kernel panic. When I boot latest Arch Linux LiveUSB, unlock and mount needed partitions I can't chroot, as I get cannot execute /bin/bash: No such file or directory (though the file is there).

I guess this happens due to removed libelf package. Pacman log says: removed libelf (0.8.13-1), upgraded autoconf (to 2.67-1) ppl (to 0.11-1) and the last entry is cloog-ppl (to 0.15.9-2). There were certainly some other packages to be upgraded. I tried to unpackage libelf from cache and copy it to the system, though I can't  chroot now either, so I guess this is not the way.

I can provide additional info, if you say what you need. Can somebody help me?

EDIT: Very similiar upgrade on ohter computer upgrades glibc after cloog-ppl and then installs elfutils. So I guess the crash happend during the glibc upgrade and generating locales.

EDIT2: There is "switch_root: can't execute /sbin/init: No such file or directory" message before the Kernel panic ocures.

Last edited by Nicky726 (2010-08-14 09:26:39)

"Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to."

#2 2010-08-14 09:22:58

Nicky726
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Failed upgrade, PC unbootable, chroot fails (elf/glibc/byobu)

OK, so I solved this as folowing:

I intalled manually that is via cp -r both the new glibc and the elfutils.
Than I ran: chroot /mnt /usr/sbin/locale-gen which generated locales.
After that I could finally chroot and run pacman -Syu which ofcourse complained about manually installed files. So I force instal of glibc and elfutils.
Now it seems to be working fine, hopefully there is no mess anywhere.

"Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to."

#3 2010-08-14 17:11:01

elstupidos
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I got hit with this as well on one of my pc's though it didnt effect another. Hopefully I can use this to fix it as well.

#4 2012-07-17 01:28:32

Wrobat

I had the same problem after updating. The thing I don't know is how did you install the things with the kernel panic? I am able to into a debian dual boot on the computer if that helps anything.

#5 2012-07-17 03:07:14

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment. 

@Wrobat: Welcome to Archlinux.  I note that you have responded to an old thread.  It is unlikely your issue is the same as that of this thread some two years on.  I am going to close this thread in accordance with our policy on old threads

If you like, feel free to start a new thread and link back to this one.  We do this to keep the forums organized and so as not to confuse issues with old solutions to new problems. 

Rather than start a new thread, I have a hunch your problem lies with the glib migration, discussed here and also in this sticky.  Just a hunch. smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer