You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-15 06:58:06

azalou

kde synaptics and udev

Hello everyone
I just installed ArchLinux : figured that I would like to learn more in depth how a Linux system work. I really like what I see so far but I've an issue with my touchpad, and I don't know where to look to solve it.
I installed kdemod 4.5. The problem is, when I login into my session, it seems like something takes precedence over the configuration of 10-synaptics.conf, and I can't figure out what : the tap option is disabled and the edges scroll doesn't work even though synclient -l report it's on.

What's even more strange is that when I do a "synclient Tapbutton1=1" it works afterwards, but it doesn't work when I do "synclient -m 100". Complains that SHMConfig is disabled (I enabled it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf).

I have an Alps touchpad (worst touchpad troughout history, I know).

If someone can point me to the right direction please let me know

#2 2010-08-16 03:55:24

azalou

Re: kde synaptics and udev

It seems like the culprit was the kcm_touchpad configuration. I still don't know why the click option was disabled even though it was on in the configurations, but the scrolling was off because of the ridiculously high value of CircScrollDelta. I think that should be considered as a bug. Even on maximum sensitivity the value is 30. 30 radians is like saying do 5 circles with your finger before activating a single scroll event... Where do you think I sould report this ?

Still if someone knows how I should work around this do tell me. I think I will make a script containing :
synclient CircScrollDelta=0.2, and set it to execute after my kde session is started. what would be the best way to do that ?

#3 2010-11-05 20:02:29

ANOKNUSA

Re: kde synaptics and udev

I just recently had some touchpad weirdness myself, so I'll throw in my two cents; you can see if it helps.  First, don't mean to be a presumptuous asshole, but have you checked out the wiki entry?  According to that, symclient -m 100 is broken for whatever reason.  Also, following the instructions there I just used the available options to play around with 10-synaptics.conf, since I've only gotten kcm_touchpad to work properly under SuSE, and found that it really just gets in the way.  I can't really say anything about CircScroll, since it works fine for me.  However, the wiki does contain a makeshift config for Alps touchpads, so you could take a look at that. Finally, I'm not sure if kdemod is to blame for anything;  I do know, however, that it's slowly being deprecated, and will be gone come KDE 4.6  You might try installing 4.5.3 SC from the repos.  I'm not sure how helpful all of this will be (I just installed Arch myself two weeks ago), but hopefully it's a start. Good Luck.

Board footer