You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-15 21:57:32

legitimus maximus

[SOLVED] problems with nvidia nonfree drivers (installation)

alright.  so some googleing/varied searching got me to the nonfree drivers direct from nvidia that I need for my 5200 fx on my desktop (these: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp … river.html )

I know there are opensource drivers available but I want the better performance/3d stuff I can get with the nonfree ones.

another thing... the ones in the repos installed but didn't work.  beyond that I don't know much.

so with the downloadable ones from the site I get this problem (Keep in mind I am a it of a noob with all this kernel stuff.  I am just now getting back into linux )

it says...

ERROR: The kernel header file '/usr/src/linux-2.6.34-ARCH/include/linux/kernel.h' does not exist.  the most likely problem foor this is that is that the kernel source path is oncorrect.

(it's typed out so not exact)
later on it says i can run with --kernel-source-path and specify a different kernel source path.  I go to /usr/src and I see that I have another source folder.  linux-2.6.35.2  seems that that one is newer.  so when I run it using that folder instead...it goes to building kernel module and after that I get:

unable to load kernel moudle 'nvidia.ko'.  tjos happens most frequently when this kernel moudle was build against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one that was used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is preasent and prevents the nvidia kernel module from obtaining ownership of the nvidia graphics devices.

(once again, typed out so there are probably some punctuation errors but nothing that matters)
alright. that is where I am now.

thanks for any help you guuys can give me

Last edited by legitimus maximus (2010-08-16 00:20:33)

#2 2010-08-15 22:36:33

flamelab

Re: [SOLVED] problems with nvidia nonfree drivers (installation)

Uninstall it and install the appropriate driver from the repos, with pacman. Read the nvidia page on arch wiki

Last edited by flamelab (2010-08-15 22:36:49)

#3 2010-08-16 00:18:41

legitimus maximus

Re: [SOLVED] problems with nvidia nonfree drivers (installation)

flamelab wrote:

Uninstall it and install the appropriate driver from the repos, with pacman. Read the nvidia page on arch wiki

after a bunch of wiki searching and xorg.conf tweaking I got everything working.

it looks great now.  I will mark it as solved.

Board footer