You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-19 04:00:33

ozar

Question for WD VelociRaptor owners...

If any of you own one or more of these drives, do yours make an intermittent click-click noise (it's a double-click) right after disk activity and then it continues that sound for a minute or so after that?  Note that if you have a loud system at all, you might not ever hear this particular sound.

Both of my VelociRaptors make this subtle click-click noise for a while after disk activity, and in each case the clicking will eventually stop if no keyboard keys are pressed, and no mouse actions take place.  The click-click noises are about 5 to 8 seconds apart, until they finally stop. If you do anything with the computer, here they go again. These clicks are somewhat annoying if you can hear them (at least they are to me). I am fully aware of the click of death syndrome that strikes some mechanical hard drives, but this seems to be different from that.

Lots of web searching has produced information about other VelociRaptor owners experiencing clicking sounds, some of which are drives going out, but some contend that these drives do this by default.  I'm inquiring about it here because I'm uncertain if the sound that I'm hearing is the default sound they make, and if it isn't, I want to RMA these drives while they are still fairly new.

Thanks to any of you that can verify any clicking noises with your own WD VelociRaptor hard drive(s).

oz

#2 2010-08-19 05:52:06

djgera
Developer
Website

Re: Question for WD VelociRaptor owners...

Not only velociraptor, also Caviar Black, and maybe others models with newer firmwares. Is the APM, just disable APM with hdparm -B 255.

For example I done this for my wd black with an udev rule. [#1]

[#1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Djgera#udev

#3 2010-08-19 14:14:51

ozar

Re: Question for WD VelociRaptor owners...

Thanks for the info, djgera - I'll look into implementing your suggestion!  cool

oz

Board footer