You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-19 12:40:40

syntax_erorr

Blank screen after boot, can still login, X not installed

I have arch installed on my laptop, and now when I boot my screen will come up blank and I cannot see the login prompt.  The OS is still running because I can login though ssh, and I can type the login on the laptop and it will log me in, I just can't see anything!  Now this is a base install of Arch with nothing but the packages on the CD, which have been upgraded with pacman -Syu.  After udev, when it turns the resoultion up, my screen goes blank.  At frist I thought it was just going to the VGA port on the laptop, so I hooked a screen up to that and it didn't show anything either.  I've search for a long time on how to change the display settings of your virtual terminal and agetty but I couldn't find anything.  Also there is no windowing system installed yet.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2010-08-19 12:44:57

hokasch

Re: Blank screen after boot, can still login, X not installed

Look into Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) and try turning it off.

#3 2010-08-19 22:07:26

syntax_erorr

Re: Blank screen after boot, can still login, X not installed

Thank you hokasch, adding nomodeset to my kernel line in grub allowed me to boot AND be able to see my screen!  It was pretty ugly at 640x480 though, so I removed nomodeset and replaced it with vga=0x362 which is a 1280x800 24bit framebuffer.
Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction!

Board footer