You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-19 13:24:09

foss.linux
Website

Metacity Ubuntu

why metacity in archlinux not same as ubuntu like?
screenshotcalculator.png
what I must change?

#2 2010-08-19 13:48:40

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Metacity Ubuntu

what is different? the button position?

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-08-19 14:07:17

kpbotbot
Website

Try installing a different theme. I'm not sure if this helps, though I believe/think that Ubuntu has it's pre-themed/customized desktop already. Correct me if I'm wrong because I most likely am smile

Sex is not the answer.

Sex is the question, and Yes is the answer.

#4 2010-08-19 14:30:09

scotths

Not the original poster, but I've been dealing with this and have a partial solution. There are 2 issues here:

1) The button position. That can be changed using gconftool-2. An example:

gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/button_layout "maximize,minimize,close:"

The order of maximize minimize and close can be changed and the colon indicates where the break between the left and right side should be. Menu and spacer can also be used in the string.

2) The shape of  the buttons. Note in the image provided the indented area behind the 2 buttons on the right is rounded on the left side and square on the right. This differs from the Ubuntu version which is rounded on both sides. Unfortunately I don't have a solution though as I note below it is rendered correctly for certain themes and not for others.

For reasons unclear to me the buttons are rendered correctly in the version of ambiance/radiance in the AUR package gtk-theme-light  (which I believe is the current version in Lucid Lynx) but not in the beta versions of ambiance in the AUR package light-themes which is taken from Maverick Meekat. (Note that the beta themes package (light-themes) in addition to installing distinct beta themes also overwrite files in the Ambiance theme partially altering it changing some of the buttons and the color scheme.) I suspect this is a mistake perhaps a product of a partially developed theme. It is also rendered correctly in the altered ambiance theme in gtk-theme-ambiance-cold.

The problem, however, isn't limited to the Maverick Meekat new themes but is also present in themes that I know to work on Lucid. For instance, the "Alliance" themes at this site are designed to look like Ambiance:

http://sites.google.com/site/jovialubun … ance-theme

These themes show the same problem with regard to rounded edges as in the provided image above. The image at the link shows the way that it should render with rounded edges on both sides. The way it does render is rounded on the left of a set of buttons and square on the right (as in the attached image). This theme renders correctly in Lucid Lynx and incorrectly in ARCH.

I suspect this is a problem with metacity (I'm running 2.30.1-1 from extra, haven't been able to successfully compile the svn version in AUR). It is odd to me that the official Ambiance theme (and the ambiance-cold knockoff) renders correctly but not the 3rd party Alliance theme (or Ubuntu's new beta version).

#5 2010-08-19 15:44:03

zenlord
Website

@Scotths:
The shape of the buttons is rendered by the theme and, more importantly, the theme-engine (Aurora, Murrine, etc.). Are you sure you have both installed?

#6 2010-08-19 15:48:33

RJQ
Website

To me, the solution for the buttons is been (even when I was using Ubuntu) the position, by putting all of them in one place they seams to behave, like it was said before the Gconf does the trick, also you can dig in to the theme file itself to further customization, in my case I like the highlights to be brighter those I change in the theme itself.

Natural Spanish speaker person babbling English...
Natural Linux user babbling Archlinux...

#7 2010-08-19 16:17:03

scotths

zenlord wrote:

@Scotths:
The shape of the buttons is rendered by the theme and, more importantly, the theme-engine (Aurora, Murrine, etc.). Are you sure you have both installed?

By both you mean the theme and the theme engine? Yes to both..

I'm a bit confused about what renders what...  I thought that when using metacity or compiz with the GTK window decorator the window decorator (ie metacity) was responsible for the buttons on the window decoration while the other buttons were rendered by the theme engine as specified in the gtkrc file.

Regardless, I do have the theme engine installed and as far as I can tell all the themes mentioned above correctly render the buttons etc. inside of windows. The only problem is with the buttons on the window decoration.

#8 2010-08-19 17:07:18

foss.linux
Website

sorry I mean the rounded button sytle at the last button in metacity (not button position)..
i have compiled new gtk-engine-murrine from launcpad, but that not solve the problem..
is ubuntu patching metacity?

sorry about my english..

Last edited by foss.linux (2010-08-19 17:08:33)

#9 2010-08-19 17:11:19

fsckd
Forum Fellow

It's a specific theme. You have to find the theme along with the theme engine that theme uses.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#10 2010-08-20 16:43:51

RJQ
Website

foss.linux wrote:

sorry I mean the rounded button sytle at the last button in metacity (not button position)...

If you mean the roundness around the buttons (embossed like part) is still the position of the buttons issue, I guess that is because is buggy if is not used as intended by default, when rearranged they lose they roundness and it looks like chopped out. I fix this problem in my machine by leaving all the buttons in the same side whether in the right or left.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uI … directlink

#11 2010-08-20 17:20:40

scotths

RJQ wrote:
foss.linux wrote:

sorry I mean the rounded button sytle at the last button in metacity (not button position)...

If you mean the roundness around the buttons (embossed like part) is still the position of the buttons issue, I guess that is because is buggy if is not used as intended by default, when rearranged they lose they roundness and it looks like chopped out. I fix this problem in my machine by leaving all the buttons in the same side whether in the right or left.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uI … directlink

That looks like the original Ambiance theme which seems to be correctly rendering the area around the buttons for me as well. The problem occurs with the beta maverick theme as well as the 3rd party alliance theme (link above).  The 3rd party theme renders correctly in Lucid, so this isn't a maverick related issue. Under Arch the right side of the set of 3 buttons (ie usually the close button) is square rather than round (as in the ops image).

#12 2010-08-20 23:03:31

RJQ
Website

@ scotths

I see now your point. I leave completely Ubuntu a while ago, is there any substantial improvement on the new theme? Back when I was using lucid I remember that neither ambiance/radiance behaved as soon as I made changes in the buttons, I can't tell now, still I think it had to be something in the theme code that is messing up the rendering, do you know if maverick has the same problem? (once the buttons are rearranged)... will read letter to see if something comes out.

#13 2010-08-21 04:32:34

foss.linux
Website

thanks for answering my question..
when i using this theme http://arch-stuff.org/CONTENT/content-f … e_R.tar.gz it's work fine

#14 2010-08-21 04:57:01

scotths

RJQ wrote:

@ scotths

I see now your point. I leave completely Ubuntu a while ago, is there any substantial improvement on the new theme? Back when I was using lucid I remember that neither ambiance/radiance behaved as soon as I made changes in the buttons, I can't tell now, still I think it had to be something in the theme code that is messing up the rendering, do you know if maverick has the same problem? (once the buttons are rearranged)... will read letter to see if something comes out.

I do recall when Lucid was still in beta that there were issues with the correct rendering of the embossed areas behind the buttons if the buttons were not in the correct order. That changed by the time the release occurred. Currently the official Ambiance and Radiance theme are rendered correctly regardless of button arrangement on Lucid and Arch (and I assume on Maverick).

The Alliance theme

http://sites.google.com/site/jovialubun … ance-theme

which is based on Ambiance renders correctly on Lucid and incorrectly on Arch. I haven't tested this on Maverick, I assume it renders correctly.

The new beta Ambiance theme renders incorrectly on Arch as well, I assume it renders correctly on Maverick (and Lucid) but I haven't tested it.

The issue with the Alliance theme leads me to suspect this is not a new problem introduced in Maverick but something different in Ubuntu's metacity package or some configuration file.

Board footer