You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-19 17:55:04

ydruil

X and console unreachable

Hello smile
I installed ArchLinux two days ago, and it worked. Since, I've been (trying) to configure it properly. I was in the last step, that is to install X and a desktop manager. It worked (I installed GNOME) but recently, i can't reach the console either GNOME anymore. I'm a beginner in GNU/Linux world (I've been using Ubuntu for 1 year).I had many issues with Arch's install, but not as serious as this one. I can't do anything, even in "fallback mode" (the screen is black with an underscore). Even if I have Ubuntu on my computer, it can't do anything on Arch's partition, I only can read it.
I remember that I tried to install ati-catalyst. It didn't worked and I deleted it (yaourt -R ati...). Then, I installed xf86-video-radeonhd and tried to configure X with tutorials, and as I remember... The issues began there.
I tried all that I could, but it seems it's not enough. Can you help me? Thanks a lot in advance smile
P.S.: I apologies for my bad English.

#2 2010-08-21 23:05:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: X and console unreachable

It sounds like a KMS issue - you might want to look at the wiki entry on troubleshooting http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI … ooting_KMS

If that doesn't fix it, then you need to post additional information, like your graphics card and any errors in your X logs

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-08-24 08:23:14

Auston Jary
Website

i have the same problems...

nvdia 8400gs

i change my rc.conf
DAEMONS= (... !slim  ...)

so i can reach the console
but startx   seen nothing ...

Apologies for my poor  English.

#4 2010-08-24 15:10:49

signor_rossi

"black screen with an underscore" = X has crashed. sad
With the 2.6.35 kernel and KMS enabled I get the same thing, X crashes. The only remedy so far (I tried with the vanilla kernel from AUR too and it also crashes, the stuff from the radeon repo makes my system crash immediately after grub)) for me is to disable KMS, but then sadly I don't get the new power saving goodness.
@ydruil
Add 'nomodeset' to your grub command line and see if it still crashes. When you see the grub screen press 'e' as needed to edit the selected entry, delete entries that might enable KMS (radeon.modeset=1) and add 'nomodeset'. Later, if your system starts now, edit the grub entries permanently in '/boot/grub/menu.lst'. Ask if you have further problems.

Last edited by signor_rossi (2010-08-24 15:11:45)

Board footer