You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-22 03:23:14

slackcub

[Solved] Copying DVD-video ISOs

I am trying to backup some DVDs I have.  Mainly all I want to do is create .iso files of the DVDs.  I don't want to burn them back to discs.  I've tried a couple things.  The first thing I tried was simply dd if=/dev/sr0 of=[insert file name here].iso

This worked for my first disc, but after that I kept getting input/output errors.  Each disc had it's own point where it would stop (ranging from 2s to 30s).  I also tried copyign the first disc again to see if maybe there was a problem with something other than the discs, but the first disc consistently copies fine. 

So I decided to try a different route, namely dvdshrink.  So I ran yaourt -Sy dvdshrink, and it was going fine until I got this:

==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    dvdshrink ... Passed
    dvdshrink.desktop ... Passed
    dvdshrink32setup.zip ... Passed
==> Extracting Sources...
  -> Extracting dvdshrink32setup.zip with bsdtar
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting build()...
/usr/bin/innounp: line 9: wineprefixcreate: command not found
    Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build dvdshrink.
==> Restart building dvdshrink ? [y/N]
==> ----------------------------------
==> 
==> WARNING: Following packages have not been installed:
    dvdshrink

I thought wineprefixcreate was supposed to come with wine?  I haven't been able to find it in any packages...  I am using wine 1.3.0.

I also tried using dvd::rip, and that installed.  However when I ran it, I get a screen that lists all the packages that are not installed, and it says the base dvd::rip installation is incomplete

I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing.  Can anyone suggest a good program I could try to do this with?  Any help is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance!

David

Last edited by slackcub (2010-08-22 05:40:29)

#2 2010-08-22 04:14:27

Mountainjew

Re: [Solved] Copying DVD-video ISOs

Have you tried using Handbrake? Works perfectly for me.

#3 2010-08-22 04:43:28

slackcub

I checked out handbrake, but I couldn't find a way to just copy the .iso.  I'm not looking to rip into indivual video files.  I use ogmrip for that.

#4 2010-08-22 05:00:48

Mustard
Website

Would K3b do something like that?

#5 2010-08-22 05:10:44

DStein

I use K3B for this all the time.  Chose "Duplicate Medium" and then chose the option that says something to the effect of "Burn Image Only" and then you can specify a path and filename for the .iso file.

#6 2010-08-22 05:40:11

slackcub

I don't know why I didn't think of this before.. I used to k3b a lot in the past, but I had to do a fresh install (HD crash), and I never re-installed it. Thanks!

David

Board footer