You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-27 20:00:34

JohnSchuster

Can OpenOffice apps be 'blocked' by a bad sound config?

Hello All,

I've got Arch, XWindows, and KDE up and running OK, I think.

I've installed OpenOffice and see their menu entries in KDE.  Trouble is, when I click on any of them, nothing happens!

I notice a lot of apprent error messages and many to most of them complain about sound support in some way.  Can this issue stop an OpenOffice app from running?

I've added root to the audio group

gpasswd -a root audio

and noted the addition by testing with the groups command.

While I do think I've got KDE installed well enough, it gives a message box pointing out the (sound) issue there as well as in some of XWindows dialogs.

I should again mention, this is cheap (but new) laptop, if that has anything to do with this.

Are there any diagnostic sound tests?

Other thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Thanks All,

JohnSchuster

#2 2005-02-27 21:17:56

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: Can OpenOffice apps be 'blocked' by a bad sound config?

Not having sound has nothing to do with open office not working. I have installed arch with this package on another machine without any sound hardware and it worked fine. Did you intall openoffice-base and openoffice-spell-en (en for english)?
You can try to run hwd detect to scan your system info:

pacman -Sy hwd

then:

hwd -s

if it comes up with a module, add it to your /etc/rc.conf in the MODULES() section. Or you can run:

alsaconf

if neither of these work, your sound card may not be supported by alsa.
Go to control center --> sound and multi-->sound system-->hardware tab  and make sure autodetect is enabled. Other than this I have no idea.

#3 2005-03-01 03:40:57

JohnSchuster

Thanks Penguin!

Mixed, (mostly not so good), results...

I was really guessing poorly re sound and openoffice.

I'm strangely having trouble with openoffice-spell-en
I did not orriginally install this.  Didn't know I need a spell checker.  No notice re missing dependancy I recall.  So I'm trying to add it now but get  a not found error!  Perhaps a server is in trouble - I can try again tomorrow.

I see openoffice-spell-en in the packages list, but when I go
pacman -A openoffice-spell-en
I get "loading package date... could not open package: No such file or directory"

I ran "hwd -s" and per direction edited rc.conf

control center --> sound and multi-->sound system-->hardware tab and make sure autodetect is enabled
..was enabled.

MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi snd-via82xx)

I added the "snd-82xx" part.

I rebooted and ran KDE and as I said autodetect was enabled, and I tested a few ways in Control Center, but no sound.  Did I get some syntax wrong, or perhaps my sound device is not supported.

Thanks again, Penguin

John

Thanks All,

JohnSchuster

#4 2005-03-01 12:11:11

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Hmmm...strange your having trouble with that sound module, I believe I had the same one and never had a problem with it out of the box. Maybe you could try:

pacman -Sy alsa-driver

then

pacman -S alsa-utils

If you do get it working, it will have to be unmuted via Kmix in multimedia.

I see openoffice-spell-en in the packages list, but when I go
pacman -A openoffice-spell-en I get "loading package date... could not open package: No such file or directory"

the -A option allows you to add existing packages already on your system. You need to use a -S to search the server database. To upgrade your entire system use the -Syu option. y updates your system to the most recent database and u upgrades out of date packages.

#5 2005-03-03 04:53:04

JohnSchuster

Thanks again Penguin!

Sorry for the delay - I'm not making much progress...

With your help, I'm pretty sure the sound issue is not related to the openoffice issue.

That said, I'm still having trouble with both.

I should have remembered better about the pacman options - the meta-code/package issue confused me for a bit.   I got the openoffice-spell-en package installed.  The pacman -Q command reports 20040623-2

I guess correct spelling is a done deal.  (the pkg hasn't changed for near a year)

Anyway, I'm still learning and hoping i can get this cheap, but contemporary, laptop configured fully.  Openoffice is more important than sound.  When I run the openoffice apps, I see a little disk activity, but then NOTHING.  It is as if the process is aborting even before they display any sort of 'splash screen'.  Hmm...

Are there any other unconfigured dependencies of openoffice?  (methinks the openoffice-spell-?? dependency was not managed by the Arch way, (can i help?)).

Maybe there is some other forum to ask about the openoffice issue, yes?

I'm stuck and yet feel like i'm really close to a primary goal after so much help from folks like you.

Thanks,

John

Thanks All,

JohnSchuster

#6 2005-03-03 11:45:06

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

did you try

pacman -S openoffice-en

?
Also, theres something with the DRI module in xorg.conf your supposed to try if you can't get things to work. I think It was change from 0666 to 0660, but Im not positive.
You may want to check your user groups as root:

groups your_username

then try:

sofficce

report what you see for the groups and any errors messages it gives you with the second if any.  Other than this, I'm out of ideas, maybe someone else could step in here....

#7 2005-03-04 03:55:10

JohnSchuster

HEY Penguin!

This is fantastic! 
pacman -S openoffice-en
worked great.  I see a setup program for the first time and seem to be on the way.

Well I've installed and tested Writer and Draw so this looks as the current solution.  Thanks so much!

Am I missing something or are not dependencies supposed to be managed by Arch?  Is maybe the dependency checking a problem for exclusive options such as the language options?  I'm not complaining - I'm really trying to understand.

I think the last item I need to resolve before I can use this laptop/Arch/X/OO is USB Drive support.  As a newbie, just mounting a drive (still don't have my DVD burner figured out) is a challenge.  I'll focus on the WIKI and maybe post in another message string.

Thanks again, Penguin, for all you help.

John

Thanks All,

JohnSchuster

#8 2005-03-04 04:31:37

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Pacman does check for dependencies.  Actually I think openoffice-en installs openoffice-base as well(I had forgotton about this) -I'm not sure if the spell checker was required.  There are many different languages for 00o, they just expect you to choose the right one.  Then, the base comes along with it.

#9 2005-03-04 13:01:43

JohnSchuster

I guess I was thrown off by the 'base' part of 'openoffice-base' and assumed it was the starting point.  Lesson learned - till i forget!

Thanks again!

Thanks All,

JohnSchuster

Board footer