hahahahah, that's great

but I get a good feeling from terse, obscure code... like this:

file echo.cpp:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

//echo [in-file] [out-file]
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
   ((argc == 2)?fstream(argv[1],ios::in|ios::binary):cin)
   >> ((argc == 3)?fstream(argv[2],ios::out|ios::binary):cout);
}

bam, one line!

#27 2005-03-01 19:59:21

dadexter
Website

Re: gurus sign up here

Dusty wrote:

I do too.  I don't much care for the Java Community and all this constant "enterprise" and "web services" talk, but programming in Java is a good feeling.

Well compared to other languages, of which the feeling wlould compare to getting run over by an 18 wheeler, sure... the only problem actually that I have seen with Java is that it crawls compared to C at the program execution level... but maybe that's just me

#28 2005-03-01 20:04:04

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dadexter wrote:

the only problem actually that I have seen with Java is that it crawls compared to C at the program execution level... but maybe that's just me

I'm gonna take this before Dusty does....
that statement is a myth - look at benchmarks for this sort of thing... java 1.5 is comparable to C++ in speed...

people think java is slow because it has a higher load time than most things... I'll bet if you made a browser in java it's load time would be comparable to firefox, would it not?  time the loading of eclipse and firefox... see what I mean.. java is not slow

#29 2005-03-01 20:04:21

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

dadexter wrote:

Well compared to other languages, of which the feeling wlould compare to getting run over by an 18 wheeler, sure... the only problem actually that I have seen with Java is that it crawls compared to C at the program execution level... but maybe that's just me

Depends on what the code is doing. For most integer and floating point math, I hear the difference is not that noticable. The jvm is pretty damn mature at this point, and highly optimized for such things.

For gui stuff, and likely large memory copy operations, it would tend to be slower than native C++ widgets.

I don't like java myself, but that is because I know it. I don't think it sucks/and i don't think poorly of people who use it. It is just not for me. I have used it in the past when it was the right tool for the job, but that doesn't mean I prefer it given the choice.

All this talk makes me want to go write some ruby.
Oh how I wish Ruby had as good of web support as php does. Mod_ruby works, but apparently there are some issues with shared address space. Ruby on rails is pretty nice though...
wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#30 2005-03-01 20:08:41

dadexter
Website

that's what I meant... for example, a few years back, I used a program called InstantBasic, when I was studying VB... it took VB code, and generated a Java program out of it... and it was alot slower than the VB version of the program. But like I said, that was a few years back (like 1998), Java probably evolved beyond my imagination since then...

Maybe one day I'll try java again... but for some reason or bad memories, it scares me tongue

#31 2005-03-01 20:09:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture wrote:

I'm gonna take this before Dusty does....

Bah! Now look who's redundant!  :oops:

Dusty

#32 2005-03-01 22:09:55

soniX

Dusty wrote:

I do too.  I don't much care for the Java Community and all this constant "enterprise" and "web services" talk, but programming in Java is a good feeling.

Dusty

oboy, guess Im the weird kid here.
not only does Java give me a good feeling, I even think J2EE is fun.
though I agree that regular webservices are boring...

btw, Its a great thing having our own programming section here at this great forum!

#33 2005-03-04 11:37:48

mercy

i'd say choosing *a way to do it*  belongs heavily to *what you wanna do*

same for "programming languages"

little automating-tasks... scripts like bash..
system-programmers will use the "systems-language" (mostly c-based isn't it?) and maybe even AZM
application-programmers got the pain of choosing .. yava/c/c++/gcc/cobol/pli/fortran/brainfuck/AZM...(no specific order - just to mention some coming up to my mind)
but application-programmers again can be devided into a wide range i now even cant think of and according to the specific given problem(or problems) which needs to be solved those groups got there favourit's...

in other words: you won't use a STA-Rocked to shoot at flys would you? ;-)

#34 2005-03-04 20:19:05

FUBAR
Website

My "skills": Java, (X)HTML, CSS, SQL, COBOL, Assembler.

I'm only in my second year of IT so needless to say, I'm not very good at any of those languages. big_smile

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#35 2005-03-04 20:39:38

dadexter
Website

Cobol? you must be like, ancient! tongue

#36 2005-03-04 23:39:13

oscar

On topic:
Swedish, English, some German, HTML, some PHP, a tiny bit SQL and some java smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#37 2005-03-04 23:57:18

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

Regular stuff: C, some C++, Perl, Docbook, HTML, CSS, shell.
Days of yore: Pascal, asm, FORTRAN, COBOL, SQL, Modula-2, BASIC...

#38 2005-03-05 13:43:09

FUBAR
Website

dadexter wrote:

Cobol? you must be like, ancient! tongue

I'm 21. tongue

I'm tought Cobol as structured programming language. It's supposed to be superior in its field. I hate Cobol because there's no decent IDE for it.

#39 2005-03-05 21:22:13

FUBAR
Website

I've just bought a new book: Beginning PHP5, Apache, MySQL - Web development by Wrox.
The book I had to buy for school for OO programming was Ivor Horton's Beginning Java 2. I like it very much since it's very easy to read with lots of examples and on top of that, each example is followed by a "How it works" section, which describes how your code works. That's why I picked this book and not some other PHP5 & MySQL book.

This is going to be sweet! Hopefully I can add PHP and MySQL to my list of skills next week. wink

#40 2005-03-05 21:27:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

the best two php books I have are:
"php5 and mysql Bible": Converse, Park, and Morgan
"Advanced php programming": Schlossnagle

heh..with a name like Schlossnagle, it has to be good.  wink

ps. php api documentation at php.net  is super good.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#41 2005-03-05 22:54:34

soloport

Assembly: Z80, MC68020-040, MC68340/360 (most years), ColdFire, R4000, i960, i8051, some i80x86
High-level: C (most years), some C++, little Java
Script: PHP, JavaScript, Bash, some Perl, little tcl/tk
Markip: HTML, XHTML, CSS
SQL: Postgres, some Oracle, little MySQL
Misc.: DHTML, XML

22 years of programming (98% Unix/Linux environments).  Started out with stuff at the top of my list.  Been doing mostly web applications for the last 8 years.

"Wish I had time for more" list? Ruby, Java, C++ -- all look interesting.  And I probably know about 1% of what I wish I knew about Linux (and programming, for that matter)  :?

#42 2005-03-06 01:25:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

soloport wrote:

And I probably know about 1% of what I wish I knew about Linux (and programming, for that matter)  :?

It takes a real programmer to admit how much they don't know...

#43 2005-03-06 02:23:19

z4ziggy
Website

phrakture wrote:
soloport wrote:

And I probably know about 1% of what I wish I knew about Linux (and programming, for that matter)  :?

It takes a real programmer to admit how much they don't know...

actually, a "real" programmer "knows it all" - for a real programmer all coding languages are just different ways of reaching the same goal, only using different function names. a good programmer doesnt need to know "by heart" the in&outs of libs&headers of this or that language - if he masters the logic, he can program them all.

codito ergo sum

#44 2005-03-06 02:26:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

actually, a "real" programmer "knows it all" - for a real programmer all coding languages are just different ways of reaching the same goal, only using different function names. a good programmer doesnt need to know "by heart" the in&outs of libs&headers of this or that language - if he masters the logic, he can program them all.

You're saying that somebody who can program in a structured language can also program in an OOP language without a mental shift and can also program in a logic language without a mental leap of faith?

Dusty

#45 2005-03-06 03:22:28

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Dusty wrote:

You're saying that somebody who can program in a structured language can also program in an OOP language without a mental shift and can also program in a logic language without a mental leap of faith?

Seems to me he is saying that in any "language" that is turing complete, you can do the same operations as any other turing complete language.
So..while the programmer in question may not know oop practices, he well could perform the same operations, just in a different manner.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#46 2005-03-06 07:39:58

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ah, but it takes a real programmer to admit "you are better than me at X" - it's the real developer who knows his faults

#47 2005-03-06 15:23:10

z4ziggy
Website

smile again i disagree... it takes a real "human" to admit that... wink

#48 2005-03-06 17:00:26

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

To err is human... to admit it is hackish. :-P

#49 2005-03-06 17:56:45

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Mr Green

#50 2005-03-06 19:26:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Mr Green wrote:

How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

0. If the light goes out, they simply bask in the glow of their monitors.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer