You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-28 23:13:34

Ownaginatious

[SOLVED] Flash ignores pulseaudio :(

Well, I recently bought new USB headphones due to my computer's build in audio being absolute crap.

Anyway, to get them to work, I had to install pulseaudio over ALSA. Everything works well with almost every application (all media applications understand that they're supposed to go through pulseaudio), except one.

That one application is flash within firefox (or maybe firefox itself... I don't know). For some reason it still comes through my soundcard's audio rather than my USB headphones sad

If it matters, I'm using 32-bit flash due to x64 flash suddenly not existing anymore due to adobe pulling it for a while.

I've installed the alsa-plugins package for both x86_x64 and 32-bit (lib32-alsa-plugins).

My /etc/asound.conf looks like this:

# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {
  type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
  type pulse
}

# Explicit PulseAudio device
pcm.pulse {
  type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
  type pulse
}

# vim:set ft=alsaconf:

Anyone know what I should try next?

This is the last thing I need to get working on Arch! (coming to this distro after having been raped by Gentoo tongue)

Thanks!

Last edited by Ownaginatious (2010-08-29 05:01:28)

#2 2010-08-28 23:19:11

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Flash ignores pulseaudio :(

Install pavucontrol and move the stream over to your USB headphones.

And please refrain from useless comments like "raped by Gentoo". Its not necessary, and its not polite.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-08-28 23:43:47

Ownaginatious

ngoonee wrote:

And please refrain from useless comments like "raped by Gentoo". Its not necessary, and its not polite.

Heh, sorry. Just had a less then pleasent experience with that distribution over the last few days.

Anyway, I tried installing pavucontrol and I'm a little confused as to how I would go about switching the stream.

Would you happen to know where in pavucontrol I select which devices should be giving the output?

Thanks

#4 2010-08-29 05:00:41

Ownaginatious

Ha! So I fixed it!

It turned out the issue was that I didn't install the 32-bit version of pulseaudio. I found out I needed to in the arch wiki page on using 32-bit flash in 64-bit linux.

All that the pulseaudio page had on 32-bit flash in 64-bit linux was:

If you are on Arch x86_64 and want to have sound for 32 bit programs (like Wine), make sure to install lib32-alsa-plugins as well.

I changed it to say the following for any poor soul who should encounter the same problem I had:

If you are on Arch x86_64 and want to have sound for 32 bit programs (like Wine), make sure to install lib32-pulseaudio and lib32-alsa-plugins as well.

Board footer