You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-29 13:41:37

jai134

cups doesn't work with lp command anymore?

I can print a testpage but when using the lp <file> command my printer starts to spit out emty papers and some papers with a few characters on them. The error log says E [29/Aug/2010:14:02:12 +0200] Unable to set ACLs on root certificate "/var/run/cups/certs/0" - Operation not supported. Whats the CUPS problem now? I'm running Openbox on a x86_64 computer.

#2 2010-08-29 14:50:00

lagagnon
Website

Re: cups doesn't work with lp command anymore?

Try this, but not sure if it is your problem: modify /etc/fstab to add "default,acl" to the partition which contains /var (in my case "/") in order to get cups permissions correct.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-08-29 15:12:59

jai134

Did a complete reinstall of CUPS. I didn't try to print another document than the document I wanted to print. That wasn't a good idea. Now I have and I can print a .pdf  from my hard disk. The document I need to print is an attached .doc file in gmail. I have downloaded it and tries to print it from my Downloads folder. Same thing happens now. It "prints" the same way as before. Sorry for missleading you. What is the problem here? Do I need some software to open the document with aka OpenOffice or similar? Don't really want to load a lot of extra software to my computer. It is primarily a HTPC.

#4 2010-08-29 16:29:29

egan

If you are trying to print a word document directly with lp, that is probably the problem itself. I don't think there are any filters that can handle such files. There are a couple things you can do.

1. Check out the great antiword program. Antiword can convert doc to plaintext on stdout, and it can even make pdfs.
2. Open the file in some word processor and print from there.
3. Ask your contacts to send you a pdf or plaintext  next time.

#5 2010-08-29 21:36:21

jai134

Thankyou. I have now antiword installed. I have tried to convert to .txt and print it. No problems. Can you explain for me how to convert it to .pdf or .ps. I don't understand how to make antiword use 8859-1 instead of UTF-8. My default locale is sv_SE-UTF8 but I have the 8859-1 also. How can I tell antiword to use it?

#6 2010-08-30 06:43:33

HariPeddi

I have installed antiword. And am able to convert doc -> txt and doc -> pdf. But headers/footers of word document are not getting converted in txt/pdf files. Can anyone help me in this regard?

#7 2010-08-30 13:49:58

egan

jai134 wrote:

Thankyou. I have now antiword installed. I have tried to convert to .txt and print it. No problems. Can you explain for me how to convert it to .pdf or .ps. I don't understand how to make antiword use 8859-1 instead of UTF-8. My default locale is sv_SE-UTF8 but I have the 8859-1 also. How can I tell antiword to use it?

man antiword

is your friend. It should pretty self explanatory.

Haripeddi wrote:

I have installed antiword. And am able to convert doc -> txt and doc -> pdf. But headers/footers of word document are not getting converted in txt/pdf files. Can anyone help me in this regard?

Of course the rendition antiword makes is just an approximation of the word document. If you want exact output you would have to ask your contacts to send you pdfs output directly from Microsoft Word.

#8 2010-08-30 14:27:27

jai134

OK. I have successfully converted my .doc to both .pdf and .ps. The converted files are not usable for me. I thank you for your kind help. I think I will have to use Abiword or some other wordprocessor for this kind of work. smile

Board footer