You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-29 16:27:12

agomezh

CD ROM not opening

OK, I have had this problem before when I started to use linux and I don't quite remember how to fix it. Now it came back. The problem is the following, the command eject will not work because it cannot find the device 'cdrom', in fact

$ls /dev/cd* 
ls: cannot access /dev/cd*: No such file or directory

Also it won't eject even by pushing the button of the cd drive ( on the computer ), same as klohs.
Here is some information:
I used "sudo lshw -c disk" and the only output was my hard disk. With

$ lsmod | grep cd
ide_cd_mod             24177  0 
ide_core               76991  1 ide_cd_mod
cdrom                  31410  1 ide_cd_mod
uhci_hcd               19251  0 
ehci_hcd               32232  0 
usbcore               121705  4 usbhid,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
dcdbas                  4388  1 dell_laptop

When I start the computer I can eject the cd just before it prompts the grub menu, so I think that the drive is working, but after it reaches the menu it does not allow me to eject it. If I go to the bios menu I cannot eject the tray either. I remember that when it happened last time I had to eject the drive with a paper clip and close the tray once Ubuntu started. Then it would be recognized and I could use the drive normally. Then if I ejected used the button on the tray it would stop working, of course this is not working anymore. I will try to boot from the cd drive ( I don't have any cd with me right now ), and I will post if it was successful. ( now I'm using Arch now  ). Is it possible that is grub's problem?
Thank you!.

#2 2010-08-29 16:32:12

BaconPie

Re: CD ROM not opening

What does mount (or /etc/mtab) give you? Anything mounted?

Also, try:

# eject

#3 2010-08-29 16:35:08

agomezh

Re: CD ROM not opening

$eject -v
eject: using default device `cdrom'
eject: device name is `cdrom'
eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'
$mount 
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=218558,mode=755)
/dev/disk/by-uuid/b60f51a5-b330-45ef-aae7-51ad85de90f8 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,commit=0)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda4 on /home type ext4 (rw,noatime,commit=0)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/agomezh/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=agomezh)
javafs on /home/agomezh/wuala/WualaDrive type fuse.javafs (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=agomezh)

Thank you! ( it is a very similar problem to: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=82549 )

Last edited by agomezh (2010-08-29 16:39:38)

Board footer