You are not logged in.

#51 2010-09-22 22:47:32

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Removing the "Local Mirror" article?

Ah, I see what you mean... I was thinking about:
kernel-2.40.0-1 in [core]
kernel-2.42.0-1 in [testing]

#52 2010-09-22 22:59:23

pyther
Website

Exactly. I was thinking about adding both methods in the script and commenting them both out (forcing a user to choose), but I'm not sure some users will fully understand the differences between the methods.

This is almost why I would not prefer a script in the wiki article. This becomes: Should we prevent useful information "copy-and-pasters."

My outlook...
Pro: Nice tool and helps everyone who really needs a local mirror to set it up correctly
Con: "Copy-and-Pasters" will just copy and paste and enable something without needing or understanding what they are doing

Opinions are more than welcomed.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#53 2010-09-23 06:15:16

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Nice improvement I think.. smile But the problem is I don't believe/think that we should think for the users. Yes; some people can blindly copy-paste everything and try to work it out. But I tend to think that these guys who are interested in mirrors are smart. Take Debian into account for instance. You can use apt-proxy or create a new local mirror.

In a quick review, I wasn't able to see what was missing in your script but maybe we can just leave out the sync address (tier-1) so that they need to dig deeper.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

Board footer