You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-01 13:52:31

spidernik84

Cpu fan stops after some minutes on sapphire PURE 790GX PC-AM3RS790G

Hello, the thread title says it all!
On my archlinux installation i'm having this odd problem, where at first cold start the fan works fine for 5/10 minutes, then it starts revving up and down (i can see the lm-sensors rpm data read 0 and ~3000 alternatively), and then it stops! The cpu temp keeps rising then, up to 90° and more, when overheat protection kicks in.
I tried, after fan has stopped, to suspend-to-ram or hibernate, and after recovery the fan works fine.
I made another test: i detached the pwm connector with the pc powered on, and then reattached it, and the fan promptly restarts!

I can't test this on windows since i don't have any win partition on my machine...

This is really strange, honestly... the problem persisted even after a bios update (latest for my two years old motherboard has been released a month ago).
At this point i'm wondering if that could be related to my stock fan electronics failing... i don't want to use a non-pwm fan there, that would spin at 4k rpms with a lot of noise! sad

Last edited by spidernik84 (2010-09-01 13:54:37)

#2 2010-09-03 14:45:09

Hessiess

Re: Cpu fan stops after some minutes on sapphire PURE 790GX PC-AM3RS790G

After the fan stops, can you re start it again by physically spinning the blades? If so, and as it is reasonably old, I would recommend replacing the fan.

To test with a different OS, you could use a different live CD, i.e. Ubuntu/Fedora/Knoppix etx.

#3 2010-09-03 16:48:42

spidernik84

Re: Cpu fan stops after some minutes on sapphire PURE 790GX PC-AM3RS790G

Hessiess wrote:

After the fan stops, can you re start it again by physically spinning the blades? If so, and as it is reasonably old, I would recommend replacing the fan.

To test with a different OS, you could use a different live CD, i.e. Ubuntu/Fedora/Knoppix etx.

Hi Hessiess. I tried that as well, the fan does not restart even if spinned by hand. Looks like there's no power flowing in it!
The fan is just two years old, and it used to spin at an average of 2500 rpms, so the end of life should be far away. I keep the internals clean with compressed air, no dust bunnies anywhere smile
I'll be testing with a live distro, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers.

Board footer