You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-02 00:50:08

gauthma
Website

[Solved] I forgot to recompile the vboxdrv module after kernel update

I suppose the situation I describe below could very happen had I not been using testing, but given the fact that I am, I thought to tell it here

I hadn't been using VirtualBox much, so as the successive kernel updates went by, I did not worry about rebuilding the vboxdrv module, as was necessary to VB to work properly. So when the need finally came to use it, I ran it and it started normally... until I tried to start one of the virtual machines, which resulted in the kernel panicking (and the correspondent full system freeze). After a reboot, I rebuilt the module, and inserted it. Now VirtualBox started, and when starting one of the machines, it opened a new window, but took forever to start. And the interesting bit comes now: I was unable kill VirtualBox, because running "ps | aux" also took forever to return any output!! (I ended up rebooting again, and now, with the "proper" vboxdrv module, everything ran as it should).

Now, this left me with several questions, the first two being: is it "normal" (lacking a better word) for an outdated module to cause a kernel panic? And what kind of situation would cause "ps | aux" to take forever to produce output (something I had never seen happening before)?

Last edited by gauthma (2010-09-09 12:50:32)

#2 2010-09-02 01:20:47

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] I forgot to recompile the vboxdrv module after kernel update

Are you piping ps output to aux ?

The correct command is ps aux, which you can pipe to less; like ps aux | less.

#3 2010-09-02 02:17:50

gauthma
Website

No. Seeming as I did the same mistake twice when writing, I checked the bash history, and no, I used the correct command: "ps aux".

#4 2010-09-03 02:07:35

x33a
Forum Fellow

Well since the issue seems to be solved for now,  i guess you have no way to find out. but if such a problem re-occurs, run top or htop and notice their response, i.e., any hanging or such.

#5 2010-09-09 12:21:14

gauthma
Website

x33a wrote:

Well since the issue seems to be solved for now,  i guess you have no way to find out. but if such a problem re-occurs, run top or htop and notice their response, i.e., any hanging or such.

All right, it's the best course of action so far. In the meantime, I'll thread as solved...

EDIT: OK, this is unexpected... It appears that there is a max size for the length of the subject line, which this thread's subject hits. Thus I'm unable to add the "[Solved]" prefix to it. what's the proper thing to do in this situation?

Last edited by gauthma (2010-09-09 12:25:12)

#6 2010-09-09 12:42:00

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

Make your subject shorter? big_smile

#7 2010-09-09 12:49:56

gauthma
Website

schuay wrote:

Make your subject shorter? big_smile

Yes, I did thought of that tongue But it seemed a good idea to ask before changing it by my own iniciative (lest there was actually some other solution). But as that was not the case, I'll do just that big_smile

Board footer