You are not logged in.

#26 2010-10-03 13:52:01

Thor@Flanders

Re: Would Arch Be good for a server?

Hi,

Having first hand xp with servers:
first Arch
then possibly CentOS

Arch has the lite-feel to it that I like, no fuss no "pomp-and-circumstance" - but more like "just do it"...

I'd go for Arch any time...

Thor

#27 2010-10-04 10:05:48

triplem
Website

As a short side-note, we, the ArchServer project, have just released the first RC.

Please take a look on http://www.archserver.org/ for more and detailed information.

#28 2010-10-04 15:59:07

Carlwill
Website

Took me a while to get on to the console of the server (it's in Amsterdam, I'm in Australia) because the damn Dell DRAC card won't work on anything except XP and IE6 :(

I would rather be punched in the face that be forced to use a DRAC. It's horribly slow (I guess Java is a factor also) & hangs on itself more than 1/2 the time I try and access it.

I've been using Arch Linux for my servers & it works perfect. I have never had any issues but keep in mind that they're not production servers for my business. They're my personal servers & if they crash, then it's only any inconvenience to myself. If your servers demand reliable uptime, I would recommend Debian or CentOS.

./

#29 2010-10-04 21:57:29

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Carlwill wrote:

I would rather be punched in the face that be forced to use a DRAC.

I wholeheartedly endorse this alternative.

(There no shortage of people who would be willing to punch me in the face either tongue)

Board footer