You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-05 04:18:23

softtower

Suspend/Resume does not work on Thinkpad T510 with nVidia NVS 3100M

After the entire Saturday have been spent Googling and experimenting I officially give up and begging for help!

My hardware:
Brand new Thinkpad T510 with nVidia NVS 3100M and 1920x1080 pixels full HD display.
Latest BIOS has been installed from the Lenovo site
Latest proprietary nVidia driver (version 256.53)

My issue:
I cannot resume/suspend/hibernate. When I am in Gnome and I ask it to suspend it suspends fine (seems like) but on resume I get a black screen with one of these happening next:

* Nothing. The screen stays black. Backlight appears to be on.
* Extreme slowness. It takes 10-30 seconds for login screen to show up and keyboard is blocked. I can get to the desktop but it takes like a minute and the machine is not usable.
* Proper operation (still requires to hit space or any other key for login screen to show up)

In other words my chances of resuming are about 20-30%.

When I try to hibernate, it just hangs - the power doesn't turn off.

What I have tried

* Booting with acpi_sleep=sci_force_enable kernel parameter. Doesn't seem to make any difference.
* Switching to text console (ctrl+alt+f1) and doing pm-suspend - this seems to reliably freeze the machine on resume.

Google found me this kernel bug, but it appears to be fixed in May: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15407

I don't want to run novenau because it doesn't have power management features and this card drains battery in 2 hours if not down-clocked by the native driver. (so I don't even know if novenau driver suspends)

My Questions:
Am I the only one with this issue?
Is there anything I can try?
Any tips debugging it, so at least I can look at some logs to get clues or/and properly report a kernel bug?

#2 2010-09-05 20:43:32

softtower

Re: Suspend/Resume does not work on Thinkpad T510 with nVidia NVS 3100M

Here's an update for future victims doing google searches :-)

The issue appears to be related to compiz. When I'm doing basic 2D desktop with metacity everything simply rocks: the machine suspends/resumes with no issues.

When compiz is enabled, there is about 10 second delay after resume, during which the screen is black and you better not touch the keyboard! If I sit and wait for 8-12 seconds, the dark screen goes away GDM login dialog shows up. But if I touch the keyboard or the touchpad, it will either freeze or become exceptionally slow.

Board footer