You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-05 11:14:01

Kirodema

[SOLVED ...] Emergency: No Networkconnection during installation

Hi .. I have some problems with my networkconfigurations .. I decided to reinstall Arch on my Thinkpad R500 since tomorrow school is starting again for me and I had too much junk on my laptop big_smile

First of all I wanted to connect to my accesspoint via

iwconfig wlan0 essid "TP-LINK" key s:mypassword

This worked without problems the previous 2 times. Then I used dhcpd and got a strange IP .. since I am used to it, that our router only gives junk-ips to Linux Clients, I simply changed it via

ipconfig wlan0 192.168.1.115 mtu 1500

(mtu was wrong as well .. dhcpd said 578 and router says 1500 Oo)

But somehow I cant get a connection to anywhere. Cant ping google or my own router. I tried to change the DNS server to my local homeserver and the only answers I received were from the cache seemingly. The Network also doesnt work if I try it via cable.

Do you have any suggestions why it doesnt work when it had half a year ago?

Edit: ok .. I somehow tricked the dhcp of my router out by using an adress out of his range .. this enables me to ping hosts inside the network, but the router doesnt let me out (ping www.google.at ends in Network is unreachable -.-)

Last edited by Kirodema (2010-09-05 12:14:33)

#2 2010-09-05 12:14:13

Kirodema

Re: [SOLVED ...] Emergency: No Networkconnection during installation

Kinda strange ... after 3 years of learning intensive networking at school I am able to configure and understand many things on Cisco, Linux and Windows devices (e.g. dhcp, voip, firewalls, little bit vpn and so on) but I am nowhere near to understand my router at home (TP-Link WR641G/642G v3) .. I checked everything twice if there is a setting which would deny me the access to the Internet and there was nothing. After watching the log, I saw that I am an evil attacker who trys to claim a reserved IP .. looking at the reservation list I saw the wrong MAC address and corrected it. dhcpd again and the router doesnt give me the wanted IP (.115) but some junk again (.102) which is reserved for another host. But somehow it worked (and I dont know why). Maybe TP-Link has its own standards ..

Board footer