You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-07 14:49:54

stqn
Website

Freezes (crashes) when using BFS-patched kernels

I've been trying several BFS-patched kernels since a few months ago and when I'm using them it almost always ends up with a complete freeze of my computer within a few hours: the mouse pointer doesn't move anymore, CTRL-ALT-F1 doesn't do anything, the only thing I can do is keep the power button pressed for 4 seconds to switch my computer off.

The crashes/freezes often happen when clicking a button in Firefox, but it also happened when opening Firefox, or closing a game.

The kernels I have tried are kernel26-pentium-m (kernel 2.6.34 with Zen patchset) and kernel26-bfs (kernel 2.6.35 with BFS patch) from AUR.

I'm running XFCE4 on an Asus A6G laptop (Pentium-M, ATI Radeon 9700 mobility with xf86-video-ati.)

I'm simply not getting this kind of unexpected crashes with non-patched kernels, even those I have configured and built myself.

Anyone having the same symptoms? Any idea about the problem or how to solve it?

Alternatively, any solution to improve video playback and reduce input lag in video games that take 100% cpu time without resorting to BFS is welcome wink.

Last edited by stqn (2010-09-07 14:53:27)

#2 2010-09-07 19:22:57

quarkup
Website

Re: Freezes (crashes) when using BFS-patched kernels

Hey there, im the maintainer of the kernel26-pentium-m

Actually I've updated the kernel to the 2.6.35 version, and provided link for the binaries (check the AUR entry :: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33104 )

I don't have any problems with it, but im using chromium, not firefox.

Still, you should check /var/log/Xorg.0.log

edit: the idea would be to 'diff' the two config files :s

good luck though

edit2 :: notice that you still need the kernel-headers (kernel sources) for compiling the graphical driver (nvidia or ATI catalyst in your case)
ive put also the kernel26-pentium-m-headers binary package in the same dir as the binary package for the kernel.

Last edited by quarkup (2010-09-07 23:03:53)

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Board footer