You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-07 20:00:16

Scotty

Out of the blue, my desktop no longer passes POST.

So, today when I turned my computer on this morning, it would not pass the POST. I had shutdown my computer the night before with shutdown -h now (like I usually would). I did not move, bump, unplug, plug-in, or change anything at all with the computer. The computer has been working fine and dandy with no problems whatsoever for the past 7 years (It was manufactured in 2003, then I got it secondhand from my dad just 3 months ago. There has been no BIOS modifications, no Overclocking of any sort, and the only hardware difference from manufacture is a RAM upgrade 4 years ago, and then I added a SSD to it about two months ago. All BIOS options are set to the default, except an option to enable the second SATA drive I added.

When I turn the computer on, I can see the BIOS splash screen, but I cannot enter the BIOS setup. It makes the usual two beeps when I press the power button. No beep codes, no nothing. It just sits there with the spash screen and the loading bar about 1/4 full.

Any help :S ?

Scott

PS: The computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 series with BIOS Revision A05. And the caps lock and scroll lock LEDs on my keyboard are lit up (they normally just flash on and off once at boot).

Last edited by Scotty (2010-09-07 20:03:21)

#2 2010-09-07 20:21:37

jlacroix

Re: Out of the blue, my desktop no longer passes POST.

Scotty wrote:

So, today when I turned my computer on this morning, it would not pass the POST. I had shutdown my computer the night before with shutdown -h now (like I usually would). I did not move, bump, unplug, plug-in, or change anything at all with the computer. The computer has been working fine and dandy with no problems whatsoever for the past 7 years (It was manufactured in 2003, then I got it secondhand from my dad just 3 months ago. There has been no BIOS modifications, no Overclocking of any sort, and the only hardware difference from manufacture is a RAM upgrade 4 years ago, and then I added a SSD to it about two months ago. All BIOS options are set to the default, except an option to enable the second SATA drive I added.

When I turn the computer on, I can see the BIOS splash screen, but I cannot enter the BIOS setup. It makes the usual two beeps when I press the power button. No beep codes, no nothing. It just sits there with the spash screen and the loading bar about 1/4 full.

Any help :S ?

Scott

PS: The computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 series with BIOS Revision A05. And the caps lock and scroll lock LEDs on my keyboard are lit up (they normally just flash on and off once at boot).

The first thing I recommend is try reseting the BIOS by unplugging the power and disconnecting the CMOS battery for 30 seconds.

The second thing I recommend to remove EVERYTHING from the computer. Remove all RAM except one stick, disconnect the hard drives, CD drives, any peripheral cards, USB headers, and see if it passes POST. If it does, add one component back one by one until you isolate the problem. If it still does not pass POST with no peripherals attached, either your motherboard is shorting out, or it's bad.

#3 2010-09-07 20:22:47

lilsirecho
Veteran

Check your bios battery with a voltmeter: s/b 3.00 vdc.

If not near to that, replace the battery.

EDIT:  Then check 5v and 12v potentials on the connectors for HDD's.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2010-09-07 20:37:41)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2010-09-07 20:31:45

Skripka

No POST beep codes Hmm?

Try error light codes per:

http://www.webmadeeasy.net/ComputerDocs … tshoot.htm

#5 2010-09-07 20:44:46

Scotty

Okay, it was at the post screen for about an hour: it eventually booted, and I saw something about a keyboard error after. I will reboot and see if removing my keyboard during POST changes anything. The keyboard works perfectly fine when booted into the OS.

Scott

#6 2010-09-07 20:49:35

lilsirecho
Veteran

Sticky keys, maybe.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#7 2010-09-07 21:08:02

Scotty

Okay, so the BIOS POSTS just fine with that keyboard unplugged. Why would this be? My keyboard is an IBM Model M made in 1991. Would it be that the BIOS does not support legacy keyboards?

Scott

#8 2010-09-07 21:22:43

lilsirecho
Veteran

Quite probable if it is a different keybd than you have been using for seven years.

Otherwise, stuck key or contaminated keybd with foreign substance...coffee mebbe!

#9 2010-09-07 21:29:58

Scotty

lilsirecho wrote:

Quite probable if it is a different keybd than you have been using for seven years.

Otherwise, stuck key or contaminated keybd with foreign substance...coffee mebbe!

The keyboard works and is clean. I doubt there is a stuck key-this keyboard is 19 years old and is the "ciickey" variety: it uses IBM's buckling spring technology. There is an actual spring in the key mechanism.

I just got the keyboard off of a relative who was emptying their attic. I suspect it is the keyboard that is the problem, but why does it not work with my BIOS?

#10 2010-09-07 23:17:30

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Electronic stuff eventually malfunctions and dies. I'm actually surprised you could coerce a relatively recent machine to use such an old keyboard tongue

It is normal for the POST to stop when there is a keyboard error or no keyboard so it may be time to get a new keyboard.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#11 2010-09-08 02:27:58

Anntoin
Website

I would ask for help regarding using the Model M at the geekhack forums. Those guys really know their stuff about keyboards. If you didn't already know it's considered one of the best computer keyboards ever produced and well worth keeping (even if you ditch your computer). I know there can be several issues with getting some of these old keyboards working (ps/2 adapters, terminal keyboards, etc...) but don't know the specifics so would definitely try there.

#12 2010-09-08 02:36:19

Skripka

Anntoin wrote:

I would ask for help regarding using the Model M at the geekhack forums. Those guys really know their stuff about keyboards. If you didn't already know it's considered one of the best computer keyboards ever produced and well worth keeping (even if you ditch your computer). I know there can be several issues with getting some of these old keyboards working (ps/2 adapters, terminal keyboards, etc...) but don't know the specifics so would definitely try there.

Or shoot, just go on ThinkGeek and buy a Das Keyboard.  It uses the exact same switch action on each key.  And is USB2.0

#13 2010-09-14 00:38:51

Scotty

Skripka wrote:

Or shoot, just go on ThinkGeek and buy a Das Keyboard.  It uses the exact same switch action on each key.  And is USB2.0

Yeah, well, the only really special thing I find about the Das is that it does not have any letters on the keys (I could make my M this way with some spray paint if I really wanted.) And a Das costs much more than the low low price of 3.99 (thrift stores have no idea of a Model M's value). And if I really wanted, I could buy one from Unicomp (a company that bought the patent from Lexmark who bought it from IBM for the Buckling Spring Tech) with USB 2.0. And a Linux Layout smile

#14 2010-09-14 01:01:58

codycarey

Scotty wrote:
lilsirecho wrote:

The keyboard works and is clean. I doubt there is a stuck key-this keyboard is 19 years old and is the "ciickey" variety: it uses IBM's buckling spring technology. There is an actual spring in the key mechanism.

I just got the keyboard off of a relative who was emptying their attic. I suspect it is the keyboard that is the problem, but why does it not work with my BIOS?

Just because the keys still go clickety-clickety doesn't mean a key isn't stuck. Does that keyboard function on other machines?

#15 2010-09-14 01:45:43

Scotty

Well, I have posted over at Geekhack. Here is the link for anyone else possibly reading this thread:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=222996

I will not deem this thread solved just yet, should someone still feel the need to post in this thread.

Scott

#16 2010-09-14 02:08:47

lilsirecho
Veteran

Rusty springs.......

#17 2010-09-16 06:20:30

fphillips

So this is solved now? Bad M2 keyboard?

Board footer