You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-08 16:10:31

Soumyadeep

[SOLVED]Wine 100% cpu usage in some games

I'm using wine for almost 2yrs now, only to play counterstrike which it runs flawlessly. I today installed nfs undercover and it seems that cpu usage is always 100%(due to nfs.exe). From the nvidia control center I can see that the gpu temp is really low from which I can guess that the gpu is underutilized and so the game runs sluggishly. As I dont game that much in wine, I'm asking u guys that Is it supposed to be like this? or are there any tweaks?

Last edited by Soumyadeep (2010-09-09 10:46:46)

#2 2010-09-08 17:47:38

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]Wine 100% cpu usage in some games

If you need to lower the cpu usage, you can check out cpulimit, but I think ti's normal.

#3 2010-09-08 19:54:17

xenofungus

Old games might use software renderezation. Also some old games use 100% cpu all the time whether they need it or not.

Don't know if this is the case with nfsu, but yes, it's perfectly normal.

#4 2010-09-09 01:33:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Perfectly normal, depends on the game as well as whether it uses directx (in my experience). Most are very playable though so its not a big issue. Make sure you have sufficient cooling for extended sessions.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-09-09 10:46:12

Soumyadeep

thank u guys for ur replies, I guess wine is not ready yet for hardcore games but does a good job with wow, cs etc, marking this as solved.

#6 2010-09-09 18:08:54

lasu1

Yeah,

I've noticed recently (within the last 2 or 3 wine upgrades) that CPU use during wine gaming shoots to 100%. HOWEVER, the temperature of my CPU/cores *doesn't jump up up very much* (an mprime load on my q6700 will do about 60-62 deg C.)  The temps stay around 35-40 which is slightly above my "base" temps of about 30-32 deg C. I also don't experience any performance problems. So, like the guy above me said, I don't know if the game is actually "using" that much CPU. It's kinda odd.

Uptime shows a huge amount of CPU utilization, also. However, in htop, I don't see anything hogging all the CPU (although it still says I'm under a heavy CPU load.)

#7 2010-09-10 01:27:07

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Soumyadeep wrote:

thank u guys for ur replies, I guess wine is not ready yet for hardcore games but does a good job with wow, cs etc, marking this as solved.

Generally it is though. What's a 'hardcore' game? I play HoN through wine (long story) and I know that big resource hog NWN2 ran just the same FPS in wine as on the windows install. Those are even DirectX games, the extra cost of DirectX->OpenGL conversion is offset by the fact that you don't have to run a virus scanner and all those junk apps a typical windows install needs.

IMO wine is made for games of all kind. Now if only it worked better with Office and the Adobe apps....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-09-11 05:27:51

Soumyadeep

^^In winehq it says that wine devs main target is compatibility and not performance, as u said some games do run in near native speeds but in my case not as near, but what I do admit is that running the game  at same settings as in windows, the game looked awesome, no display corruption no nothing the game ran in all its glory only the fps was a pain.

#9 2010-09-11 11:21:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Yes, of course compatibility is the main issue, but simply because of how much wine is used for games a lot of the bugs (and fixes) are devoted to making sure game X and Y are playable, rather than generic office app A and B.

That's how open source works, games are a bigger itch than office apps smile

Board footer