You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-09 14:19:05

arre

[Solved] Losing /dev devices at boot time after upgrade

Hi,

I've upgraded my system with pacman -syu, although I added an 'ignorepkg kernel kernel26' line to the /etc/pacman.conf  (not sure this is relevant)

After the upgrade, I rebooted, and found myself in the situation that everything booted properly, until the line "Checking file sytems", which errors at "no such file or directory : /dev/sda3" (/dev/sda3 being my root file system)
Now /dev/sda3 IS properly detected before the init process by the kernel.. In the booting it says:

mknod "/dev/sda3" b 8 3
mknod: File Exists
ext2

After logging in in the maintenance console, I -have- my filesystem (only mounted read only).

(Another peculiarity: If I type: fsck.ext2 /dev/sda3, I recieve the same error, but when first remounting the system rw, fsck warns my that I WILL damage the system  if I continue..)

----
The most important issue, is that my /dev/sd* nodes are gone!
----
/proc/mounts tells me that /dev/root and rootfs are mounted at /, and udev at /dev.
First I thought udev might be screwing with me, so I went in with the rescue cd, and set the mod_autoload="no" in /etc/rc.conf. However, after rebooting, this did not change anything, and my /dev nodes were still gone.

Can anybody explain to me what's going on? smile
Help/info/suggestions are appreciated!

Arnout

Last edited by arre (2010-09-10 06:06:38)

#2 2010-09-09 14:52:39

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [Solved] Losing /dev devices at boot time after upgrade

"ignorepkg kernel kernel26" doesn't belong in /etc/rc.conf. If you want to block kernel updates, add 'kernel26' to the IgnorePkg directive in /etc/pacman.conf

Your nodes are "gone" because you opted to have udev not detect your hardware and load the appropriate modules by setting mod_autoload="no". Not sure what else you would expect from this.

The mknod lines for the root device were removed a long time ago in the initscripts. I'm not convinced you fully upgraded, but you've got some other issues at hand to deal with first.

#3 2010-09-09 14:59:30

arre

My bad, it was a typo: "ignorepkg kernel kernel26" was in /etc/pacman.conf of course. I'm editing the orgininal post in a sec.
I didn't change the mod_autoload originally, and I only tried it once to see what happens. You're probably right that was a bad idea.

But I'm still stuck: autoload is on, udev deamon is started, but doesn't add my drives..

#4 2010-09-10 06:04:44

arre

Ok, I got it.
Chrooted into the system again through the rescue cd, -enabled internet-, downloaded the latest kernel26 update and installed it, and everything worked.

Probable cause of all the trouble: You should not update the entire system, and ommit the kernel..

Thanks falconindy for your reply!

Last edited by arre (2010-09-10 06:25:58)

Board footer