You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-09 17:01:34

sandra

Multiple soundcards

Hi,

I bought an usb sound card M-Audio Transit and I have trouble to get it work well. When I load the firmware using madfuload, I can see the card in /proc/asound/cards, but I don't know how to completely switch to it. Sound from some applications goes into M-Audio and from the others goes to Intel. How can I redirect all the sound to first or second card?  I wrote a small script to load firmware to Transit, because of change device id after reconnecting Transit, but it's still quite uncomfortable, because I have to run it everytime I connect Transit. Is there any way how to load firmware automaticaly after connecting Transit and redirect all the sound into it? And after disconnecting use Intel again? I've read something about udev rules, but everything I tried didn't work for me sad

my /proc/asound/cards:

0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfc220000 irq 32
 1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - Transit USB
                      M-Audio Transit USB at usb-0000:00:1a.0-1, full speed
29 [ThinkPadEC     ]: ThinkPad EC - ThinkPad Console Audio Control
                      ThinkPad Console Audio Control at EC reg 0x30, fw 7VHT12WW-1.01

#2 2010-09-09 17:14:21

jdarnold
Website

Re: Multiple soundcards

It ain't pretty. Basically, it mostly depends on what desktop, if any, you use. KDE & GNOME have their own way of managing the default sound card. If the app is written correctly, it should allow you to pick which soundcard to use (for instance, Audacity lets you choose both input and output devices).

You can also play with .asoundrc. For instance,  mine (in ~) is:

defaults.ctl.!card Intel
defaults.pcm.!card Intel
defaults.ctl.device 0
defaults.pcm.device 0

which often makes it so that the hardware sound card is the default device and the various USB headsets that show up need to be specially selected. Often, mind you smile

#3 2010-09-09 17:22:44

sandra

Re: Multiple soundcards

I use Openbox. When I connect Transit, for example MOC uses it, but mplayer doesn't.

Or can I temporarily disable the Intel card? Then it could use only M-Audio...

Edit: Now I find how to force mplayer to use second card. When I add the -ao oss:/dev/dsp1 parameter, it uses Transit. But still, can It be done automatically by something? I'am too lazy to write the parameters and use madfuload all the time smile

Last edited by sandra (2010-09-09 17:43:46)

Board footer