You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-10 13:29:16

bram85
Website

VMWare: mouse wheel only scrolls down

I just installed Arch Linux inside VMWare. I won the fight with the video drivers and having the proper resolution, yet I'm stuck with getting the mouse wheel work properly. Scrolling down works OK, but scrolling up also scrolls down (in a browser, scrolling up will go to the bottom of the page). With xev I discovered that both directions of the mouse wheel result in a button 5 code.

I installed open-vm-tools, xf86-video-vmware and xf86-input-vmmouse. I tried various Xorg configurations but nothing seems to help: with or without a mouse section. I tried the PS/2 mouse protocol and ImPS2/2 protocol. I used the following mouse configuration:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "VMware Mouse"
  Driver      "vmmouse"
  Option      "CorePointer"
  Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
  Option      "Protocol" "auto"
  Option      "Buttons" "5"
  Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
  Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

The Xorg log (http://pastebin.ca/1937247) also shows one particular error quite often:

ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse: dropping event due to full queue!

Which is likely related to the problem I'm facing (I also got this error with the PS/2 protocol).

Any ideas what could be wrong?

#2 2010-09-13 13:58:15

Slurp53

Re: VMWare: mouse wheel only scrolls down

I don't have a solution for your problem, but just thought I would mention that I am having exactly the same problem.  Everything was working fine till the last round of Xorg upgrades.  Will Continue to search for an answer.

#3 2010-09-15 13:11:05

bram85
Website

My current workaround is using VNC, for some reason the VNC server sends the proper events to Xorg.

#4 2010-09-15 21:50:22

codycarey

Try adding the following to a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ named 01-vmhardware.conf:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "vmmouse"
EndSection

Board footer