You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-10 16:47:39

SEMW

[Solved] Gvim appears to be a blank, empty, grey window

Hello all.  Title says it all, really.  A screenshot:

DUUIO.png

This is if run normally (from krunner).  If run from the terminal, it prints

(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache "/var/tmp/kdecache-simon/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Attached to cache, determining if it must be initialized
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Cache fully initialized -- attached to memory mapping
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: 4636672 bytes available out of 10485760

and then stalls (not opening any window, even a grey one).

FAQ
Has it only just started doing this?  I only installed it just now.
Have you tried aur/vim-gtk instead of extra/gvim?  It seems to be unbuildable -- one of the sources gives a 404.
Is your system up to date? Yes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SEMW (2010-09-12 16:01:24)

#2 2010-09-12 16:00:34

SEMW

Re: [Solved] Gvim appears to be a blank, empty, grey window

Problem solved, courtesy of Tavian Barnes on arch-general: the culprit was gtk-qt-engine.

In case anyone with the same problem comes across this thread, here's a few helpful links:
Upstream bug report: http://code.google.com/p/gtk-qt-engine/ … tail?id=51
Debian bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=505158
Ubuntu bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/270972

The last of those three also gives a nice workaround that allows gvim to work perfectly well with gtk-qt-engine: `gvim -X`.

#3 2010-09-12 16:28:18

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@SEMW

While its nice to have new registrants on the forums and ML, please do note that its more polite to only post your query in one place, generally speaking. This both prevents separation of information (you've done a good job to bring over the info from the ML to this thread) as well as using too many people's time smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-09-12 16:53:07

SEMW

@ngoonee -- Sure, posting simultaneously to more than one place would have been impolite.  Hence why I only posted it to arch-general after two days of it sitting on here with no replies, by which time (it seemed to me) almost all of the people who regularly read newly posted queries here would have already done so.  That seemed to me a perfectly appropriate length of time; If to you it does not, I'd be happy to take advice on what you would consider so.

Board footer