You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-11 06:49:44

JK3mp

Driver & Graphics Issue I believe :: Newbie to Arch

Hello, I'm newish to arch and just recently installed it on my laptop. I had no problem installed gnome and everything, configured rc.conf and so on. But when it came up to the gui it always flickered constantly. When asking about it on IRC i got a response to install nvidia drivers. I've NEVER had any good luck with them but went with what they said to run "pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils" and then ran "nvidia-xconfig" . Now I installed in Virtualbox before installing on my system and had no problems on the same system. No flickering at all. But now after running nvidia-xconfig and installing nvidia havn't seen the GUI since sad. I've messed around with xorg and even tried blacklisting Nvidia drivers and using nouveau or vesa. No luck, it seems when i boot up i get. gdm-binary[2130] display started for 0.blah blah seconds. And also some GDM error about "Maximum number of X display failures have occured". Then shows me cmd login. So i login and try running GDM. Results in Warnings saying something about couldn't aquire GDM.Gnome name or something. WHen i run startx it says failed to load Nvidia drivers check Xserver log for details and so on. I don't HAVE to have nvidia drivers if generic vesa, nv , nouveau will work. I may also mention I have dual graphics since its a laptop with intel for power saving and nvidia for higher end graphics.Any and all help appreciated. The full errors can be given if needed, can also post my rc.conf, xorg.conf, and inittab , lspci etc on request. i just have to write them down cause i have no other system to copy from. Thanks ahead!  All help greatly appreciated! smile

Oh and P.S please no links to the nvidia, gdm, or xorg wiki pages, ive read over them countless times and tried multiple things. If u do link let me know what section to look at specifically. Thanks again.

Last edited by JK3mp (2010-09-11 06:50:47)

#2 2010-09-11 07:00:36

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Driver & Graphics Issue I believe :: Newbie to Arch

Did you check the X log for errors, as was suggested in the error message?

Assuming you have network on the box, you can use a pastebin client from the CLI - no need to write stuff down.

#3 2010-09-11 15:19:51

JK3mp

Okay will do. How exactly do you pastebin from CLI? Nver done that b4 lol, thanks again! smile
EDIT:
NVM googled (duh!) i'll give it a shot!

Last edited by JK3mp (2010-09-11 15:22:45)

#4 2010-09-11 23:35:36

JK3mp

After googling around and an insane run on the IRC chat. I've determined my problem is with dual graphics card(Stupid onboard INtel graphics) since its laptop. WIll start new topic with diffrent title on that.

Board footer