You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-11 11:01:57

kpbotbot
Website

WINE won't accept *some* keyboard input.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is the right place to ask something about WINE, but since most people do, I think it's fine.

Anyway, I'm having a little trouble with WINE. It won't read some input on some games like Astro Tripper and Warning Forever. It works perfectly (almost) on Ragnarok private server stuff, but on these two, i dont know.

Specific to Astro Tripper:
-The only button I can press is Enter. I can start the game then crash into a wall big_smile And yeah, the escape key works too. Arrow keys wont work, even in the menu.

Warning Forever:
- The only button that works is F12, which does only one thing: restart the game. Arrow keys wont work, even in the menu. [edit: works now. solves only this problem though]

Limit RO
- Flawless, except public chat. You can ignore this problem smile

What I tried to do:
- remove all wine config stuff and reinstall wine. Also, installed the latest DX redistributable.

Warning Forever is a very small game (700kb). I hope someone figures this out. Btw, I also tried running on both wine with virtual desktop and without virtual desktop smile

Last edited by kpbotbot (2010-09-11 11:05:27)

Sex is not the answer.

Sex is the question, and Yes is the answer.

#2 2010-09-11 11:15:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: WINE won't accept *some* keyboard input.

Sometimes when my wine app doesn't get input I'll alt-tab to another window and back. Do you apply any patches (because the WC3 patch gives crap like this sometimes in my experience)?

I'd say it also depends on your WM.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-09-11 11:52:34

kpbotbot
Website

Nope, no patches. Also, I forgot to mention that I run XFCE with the default xfce components. I too, try the alt tab thing. Problem is, it only recognizes the enter key (Astro Tripper).

And by the way, when I "fixed" Warning Forever, the problem was this:
http://ompldr.org/vNWlibg/Screenshot-Di … etting.png
(Didn't notice the control part. I set it back to keyboard thing)

Which leads me to believing that Astro Tripper may be having a similar issue. I just dont know how to solve it. Maybe the Synaptics touchpad is seen as another keyboard? o.O Not sure though.

Sex is not the answer.

#4 2010-09-11 13:25:09

Procyon

Exactly same thing here! I thought it was because of Musca (WM) because I changed a lot of its full screen handling code.

Musca can switch between floating and tiled. This makes for the following:

Tiled: Wine won't get input except at the start of the game sometimes not even
Switch to floating: Wine gets input
Cycle in group and back to Wine: Wine does not get focus until you switch to Tile and back to Floating
Cycle to another group and back to the Wine group: Wine keeps focus

So for the most comfortable usage where I switch to and from Wine a lot I have to put it in its own group in Floating mode.

Perfect Dark can regain focus by clicking some search keys.

Last edited by Procyon (2010-09-11 13:31:02)

#5 2010-09-12 02:26:30

kpbotbot
Website

But I can get input only from a few specific keys like Enter and Escape >.< Mine must have focus, but it ignores input. Is there a way we can force all wine apps to use a specific keyboard? I was led to believing that some apps see Synaptics touchpad as a keyboard because of this:
http://ompldr.org/vNWlibg/Screenshot-Di … etting.png

Sex is not the answer.

Board footer