You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-13 01:57:44

Deusdies

Phantom kbuildsycoca4 running...

First, let me just say that I have just installed Arch after postponing it for years and I LOVE IT!

As most of us, I keep one window of bash (Konsole) always open. However, every now and then, out of the blue, I get this message (and it shows as if I typed it in the Konsole):

[root@ark media]# <unknown program name>(3386)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId: creating:  "ark;1284342581;572370;3386_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
kbuildsycoca4 running...

As far as I can tell, it doesn't do any damage, so I just hit Ctrl+C and I'm good. It's mostly annoying though.

Any idea what that is?

Thanks

My website - http://www.LinuxDistroReview.com - reviews all the linux distros out there

Here's the Arch Linux review: http://www.linuxdistroreview.com/arch-linux

#2 2010-12-30 02:16:08

aaronp

Re: Phantom kbuildsycoca4 running...

This same happen on my computer. This probably depend to FAT drive and it fail to run and crashed then restarted. This kbuildsycoca4 is KDE application. I don't use KDE either. I use GNOME.

I am newbie too smile I just guess.

#3 2011-08-14 01:16:22

insecticider
Banned

For me, this happens when I start some kde tool like digikam. It launches a number of daemons that pollute the console. My fix was to run:
    killall kdeinit4 klauncher kded4 knotify4 kuiserver

Hope this fixes your problem.

#4 2011-08-14 02:27:17

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

kbuildsycoca4 is a daemon background process which builds/updates the ksycoca cache database which KDE uses to speed up accesses to commonly used configuration data.

You will typically see it running when you start a KDE application the first time outside a proper KDE installation. And from then on from time to time when it tries to actualize the cache. This was obviously the case when those messages showed up.

By the way: This information (although I knew it before) was easily fond by googleing after "kbuildsycoca4 running" and from there following by a search for "ksycoca". It is this bit of homework you can do by yourself before posting.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer