You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-13 13:33:54

jlacroix

Up for the Challenge? A Real Mystery (Fried Power Supply?)

I didn't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but here goes.

I have a file server at home that runs Arch/KDE. It used to be a desktop/gaming machine, but I don't really play games on my computer anymore so I re-purposed it as a file server (SSH, Unison). It has a Geforce 9800GT video card and a 610watt continuous power supply. (No onboard video, requires a video card to function).

Yesterday I helped a client with his PC. I was trying to figure out if his issue was his video card or his motherboard, so I shut down the server, unplugged it, and removed the video card and put it in his PC to test (since my video card is known-good). After testing, I put it back in my server, connected the power cable to the video card, secured it with a screw, and continued working on my server.

About a half hour later, I noticed a really foul stench coming from my PC. I checked all the temps (CPU, video card, etc) and all were in range. I even tried a video card from a different PC and it still stunk. I traced the smell to my power supply, which stunk really bad. (Smells like a burned up motor). The Fan in the power supply turns just fine but it stinks! I unplugged it and stopped using it.

The server works absolutely fine (runs good, boots up fine, graphics works great, everything works) but it smells so bad you can smell it quite some distance from the tower so I'm not comfortable leaving it on.

Here's the mystery:
Is it possible that it's all just a coincidence, that the power supply decided to die coincidentally after testing the video card in another PC, or could testing the video card in a different PC have caused the power supply to burn up? The problem is definitely the power supply, but what I'm wrestling with is the fact that the server has been on for probably several weeks straight with no issue, and it decides to quit immediately after testing the video card in another PC. I know the coincidence is possible but it seems like a stretch.

#2 2010-09-13 13:42:03

Skripka

Re: Up for the Challenge? A Real Mystery (Fried Power Supply?)

How old is the PSU?  Name brand?

#3 2010-09-13 13:52:12

jlacroix

PC Power & Cooling Silencer, 610watt continuous.

It's this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817703005

I've had it for (I'm guesstimating) a little over two years. It has a five year warranty I think so I'm thinking they'll replace it but I just find it so strange that it would choose to happen right after I tried my video card in another PC...

#4 2010-09-13 14:12:06

Skripka

Given that you PSU is a quality unit-I'd call your PSU a lemon.  I'd figure that anything that another foreign computer could do to your graphics card would kill it outright in terms of putting out video.  Of course I could be wrong, and you get a new PSU under warranty only to have that one killed also smile

#5 2010-09-13 14:45:29

jlacroix

Skripka wrote:

Given that you PSU is a quality unit-I'd call your PSU a lemon.  I'd figure that anything that another foreign computer could do to your graphics card would kill it outright in terms of putting out video.  Of course I could be wrong, and you get a new PSU under warranty only to have that one killed also smile

Thanks. A colleague of mine told me that I'm reading way too much into this and to accept the fact that the power supply died and it's a coincidence. My wife told me she feels that the power supply was waiting to die and a power cycle finished it off. As for me, my experience in technology says "If it's too big of a coincidence, it usually is", so here's hoping that I don't fry another power supply.

#6 2010-09-13 22:42:43

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps there is another explanation to consider.....While operating the video card in your friend's computer, the circuit elements become fully charged,  Video circuitry usually requires large capacitors for energy storage.  These take time to discharge.

It may be that the video card was fully charged-up when you replaced it in your computer.  Since this applies full voltage to the turned-off elements of your psu, damage can result.

EDIT:  Wondering if the video card operated correctly in your friends computer?

Last edited by lilsirecho (2010-09-13 22:49:07)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#7 2010-09-13 22:53:58

jlacroix

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps there is another explanation to consider.....While operating the video card in your friend's computer, the circuit elements become fully charged,  Video circuitry usually requires large capacitors for energy storage.  These take time to discharge.

It may be that the video card was fully charged-up when you replaced it in your computer.  Since this applies full voltage to the turned-off elements of your psu, damage can result.

EDIT:  Wondering if the video card operated correctly in your friends computer?

Nothing worked on my clients computer. I was trying to figure out if the problem was his motherboard or video card, and we ruled out the video card.

#8 2010-09-14 02:16:19

spctrl

It is probably rather simple.. I've had the same general thing happen many times. When you turn on your machine the hardware demands a lot more power compared to when it is just running. Disks and fans need to spin up and so forth. So this PSU might have been fine if you had just kept it powered on, it would never have happened. Having said that it's bad that such a powerful unit dies, but I've come to accept that most power supplies are garbage when it comes to reliability.. Doesn't matter if you spend extra $$$ on a "good" brand or if you stick to cheaper ones - they just suck in general..

If I had the money I'd buy a UPS to remove power surges and such, but until then I will have to buy a new PSU every second year I guess.

#9 2010-09-14 02:18:41

jlacroix

spctrl wrote:

It is probably rather simple.. I've had the same general thing happen many times. When you turn on your machine the hardware demands a lot more power compared to when it is just running. Disks and fans need to spin up and so forth. So this PSU might have been fine if you had just kept it powered on, it would never have happened. Having said that it's bad that such a powerful unit dies, but I've come to accept that most power supplies are garbage when it comes to reliability.. Doesn't matter if you spend extra $$$ on a "good" brand or if you stick to cheaper ones - they just suck in general..

If I had the money I'd buy a UPS to remove power surges and such, but until then I will have to buy a new PSU every second year I guess.

That makes sense. I emailed the company to get an RMA yesterday, and have not heard back yet. I don't have the money to buy a new one so it really depends on them replacing it under the warranty. I'm sure I'll be without the server up to a month until it's fixed.

Board footer