You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-14 17:14:32

JHeaton

Tmux issue

Hi everyone, have done a bit of searching but only found one result that really gave me any hope and that didn't work at all (http://m.lieba.ch/2010/08/07/using-tmux … x-xen.html), so I figured I'd ask here.

I recently rolled out Arch on my VPS, have everything up to date and installed tmux. I can run tmux, but I can't create any new windows with Ctrl-c. If I detach and try to create another instance of tmux, that also fails. Both times I get the following message:

Create window failed: Permission denied

I tried the method shown on that web page but didn't get any luck and can't seem to figure out the problem. Does anybody have any ideas/have they experienced this before? It's odd, but if I use screen, I can create as many new windows as I want. Not sure if that helps narrow it down, I have to say I'm a little lost on this one.

Thanks,

Joel.

Edit: Just killed my instance of tmux, logged out and logged back in, and I can now create two additional windows but again, attempting to do more than that results in the above message. hmm

Last edited by JHeaton (2010-09-14 17:22:42)

#2 2010-09-22 16:08:12

muiro

Re: Tmux issue

I'm having the same problem on my Linode VPS running arch (64).

I've found that if I run tmux as root, I do not have this problem. This leads me to believe that it's a permissions issue, but why other arch users are not experiencing it... I have no idea.

My system is extremely vanilla, I just rolled it out a couple of weeks ago myself and haven't done much to it.

I also found that if the user running tmux had a screen session open as well, it decreased the number of windows I could open without encountering this error. Closing screen typically allows me to open one additional window. I thought that maybe screen was eating up terminals, but I really don' t think this is the case.

I haven't even been able to find reference to this message anywhere else, so it may be specific to arch.

Last edited by muiro (2010-09-22 16:09:32)

#3 2010-11-26 12:50:39

brynjolf

Re: Tmux issue

I found a irclog where they figured it out,
the problem is that PTS isn't being mounted, so this is an easy fix:
mount devpts /dev/pts -t devpts

Last edited by brynjolf (2010-12-24 00:37:20)

Cerebral: "Welcome to the distro.  You'll never leave.  Mwahaha"

Board footer