You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-05 08:43:20

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Laptop review, with Arch mentioned.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8780

I have been thinking about possibly getting one of those linuxcertified lappies..
http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2210d.html

anyone have any experience with them?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-03-05 09:48:18

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Laptop review, with Arch mentioned.

I'd probably just go with a conventional laptop myself......

#3 2005-03-05 17:22:51

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Before buying, make sure that all the components work under Linux.  Once, a company was selling Linux laptops but some components (I think it was the modem or wireless card) were not working under Linux. sad

#4 2005-03-05 18:01:43

jp_fielding

5 out of 8 developers in our office use arch.  and 7 of those 8 are on laptops.

i even have 2 laptops, and old inspiron 8200 and an inspiron 5150 both running arch pretty well.  i only have trouble at the moment on the home system reading from a compact flash card reader attached to a pcmcia usb2.0 4 port hub.

most of our office uses dell laptops. 3 inspiron 5150s, 2 (hi wdemoss) inspiron widescreens and 2 new latitude widescreens.   the only real issues any of us has had was the dell true mobile 1300, it's broadcom, it can be made to work, but why jump through hoops.  just get the intel g card and alls good with the world. 

my friends at another office (hi cbozic) use laptops and a couple of them use arch or or distros of linux.

i don't know if it's specific to dell, but i don't have, nor know of many laptops with linux troubles.  but that's just my experience.

while i don't like buying windows with my laptop, i simply promise myself that i'll install the corporate no activation copy of windows on couple of friends boxes in return, then i feel better :-)

Board footer