You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-20 09:55:31

azo

install Arch from existing Ubuntu distribution

Hi,
I have some questions about Arch installation. So I have two hard disks, one with XP (/dev/sda) and other with ubuntu (/dev/sdb). Btw, everything works ok. Now I want to try arch so I resized ubuntu partition and created 2 new partitions, sdb now looks like this:

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
1      32.3kB  303GB  303GB   primary   ext3
3      303GB   308GB  5651MB  primary   ext3            boot
4      308GB   314GB  5651MB  primary   ext3
2      314GB   320GB  6046MB  extended
5      314GB   320GB  6046MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

3 and 4 are the new partitions. Let's say that 3 should be for arch.
I followed the link http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … ting_Linux but when it gets to hard disk preparation I'm stuck.
I have a separate ext3 partition as it is described under 'Setup the target system', but when it comes to 'Configure the target system', I'm not sure which partitions to add. I think I already have swap. I guess from the data above that swap should be sdb5. So do I need just another / ?
Another thing: under 'Chroot' section, it is written that in case there is a separate /boot partition, I need to mount that too. In my case I think that /boot is part of primary sdb1, but then I don't know why there is boot flag at sdb3?

Thanks.

#2 2010-09-20 10:39:21

hokasch

Re: install Arch from existing Ubuntu distribution

In my case I think that /boot is part of primary sdb1, but then I don't know why there is boot flag at sdb3?

Ubuntu's /boot most likely is not on a seperate partition, so it should be on Ubuntu's root (sdb1?). Anyway, you are chroot'ing into the new Arch System, so no need to mount any /boot partitions if you haven't set up one in the step before. Your /boot folder will be created on arch's / (/sdb3).
Also you can ignore the boot flags, grub doesn't use them.

I'm not sure which partitions to add. I think I already have swap. I guess from the data above that swap should be sdb5. So do I need just another / ?

You can use ubuntu's swap in arch, as it is only used temporary - exception would be hibernating, if you hibernate arch or Ubuntu, you can't (or shouldn't) boot the other system. Alternatively, use a swap file if you don't want to create an extra swap partition.
If you want to use sdb5 as swap, you still need to add it in fstab. Remember, you are working on your new Arch System, Ubuntu's configuration is separate (e.g. in /etc/fstab on sdb1).

#3 2010-09-21 09:05:39

azo

Now I've come to 'Setup Grub' part.
If I run grub-install /dev/sdb it returns
/dev/disk/by-uuid/../../sdb1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
So I proceeded with manual installation but I'm not sure what to do. When I checked grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 it was hd1,0, so I did
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)
But when the system was rebooted after exiting chroot, it only listed existing boot options (ubuntu, xp). Then I modified the menu.lst file (in ubuntu) by adding something like:
# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux 
root   (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb3 ro
initrd /kernel26.img
After reboot, Arch was listed under boot options but when it was chosen, Error 15 (File not found) was reported.

Another issue: Are the installation instructions on archwiki under 'Finishing touches' supposed to be followed before or after I reboot to new arch system?
Btw, I have newarch on / and it's about 430 MB big.
Any suggestions what should I correct?

#4 2010-09-21 09:17:57

hokasch

Uh, not sure what happened with your grub now... There is no need to install grub in your case really, as Ubuntu already installed it. I think you now have installed grub legacy over ubuntu's grub. You may want to check for this and correct if so, or you will run into problems with Ubuntu updates.

To modify ubuntus grub: Arch's /boot folder is on arch's root, since you did not make a separate partition for /boot. So the "root" line has to point to archs root partition not ubuntu's, and you will need to adjust "kernel" and "initrd" line to include the /boot folder.

More info about grub/grub2 can be found in the wiki.

#5 2010-09-22 09:09:21

azo

I have Grub 0.97 and I think it still works fine. I've modified menu.lst so that now it is:
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd1,0)
kernel /newarch/boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
initrd /newarch/boot/kernel26.img

When booting, there are some displays of text (as expected), but finally it stops with root account, but with no mouse or keyboard support.
There were also some problems mentioned, but I couldn't remember all.
If I change (hd1,0) and sdb1 to (hd1,2) and sdb3, it's Error 15.

#6 2010-09-22 09:39:02

hokasch

When booting, there are some displays of text (as expected), but finally it stops with root account, but with no mouse or keyboard support.

That's how it is supposed to be, Arch does not install any graphical environment by default - I hope you have been aware of this. Have you consulted the Beginner's Guide? The setup of core configuration files (rc.conf, hosts, fstab etc) is covered there in the installer section. Since you didn't use the installer, you have to edit this files manually with a text editor. It also guides you through installing X and much more.

I have Grub 0.97 and I think it still works fine.

Sure it does now, but as soon as you update the kernel in Ubuntu, it will most likely break since Ubuntu still thinks grub2 is installed. Arch will be unaffected.

If I change (hd1,0) and sdb1 to (hd1,2) and sdb3, it's Error 15.

Weird. maybe I am missing something... Sure you installed grub to (hd1,0), so this is correct, but how is it successfully locating your arch kernel then, which should be on sdb3? Or is it on your ubuntu partition under /newarch really?

Was there any particular need for installing this way as opposed to using an install image? In general the latter is much more intuitive for a new user.

Board footer