You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-20 14:23:27

Thor@Flanders

[CLOSED]Integrity check fails...

Hi,

Ok, I hope THIS is the proper spot to post this question, if not, sorry, and do direct me where I should have put it. Thanks.

OK, Arch is cool in that it does a file sys check every n boot-ups. Good. It did so again and ended in a fail, then it DID reboot perfectly.
Do I need to worry? What manual do I read to get some ease of mind?
Need more? Where doe I get what log to help you help me - if I need help. I am new at Arch (and beyond happy with this distro) and maybe this is normal/desired behaviour...

Tnx

Thor

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2010-09-29 10:44:20)

#2 2010-09-21 14:32:39

Thor@Flanders

Re: [CLOSED]Integrity check fails...

Closed the thread...rpobably not worth the bother...

Sorry about the "noise"...

Thor

#3 2010-09-21 21:37:48

kagerato
Website

Filesystem checks aren't specific to Arch, or Linux for that matter.  If a check fails, it may (but does not necessarily) mean one or more files were corrupted.  For an example of an instance where a check can fail but all files are still consistent, consider the case where the system shutdown improperly after sitting idle a long time.  (Power failure, perhaps.)  In odd cases like that, it is possible to end up with all actual commits to files completed, but the filesystem journal and/or other metadata (modified times, permissions, etc.) out of date or uncommitted.  The check would fail even though file contents are fine.

If you don't notice any unusual system behavior, corrupt data, or bizarre metadata, I wouldn't worry about it.  Especially if this was a one-off event that doesn't occur again.

#4 2010-09-22 02:27:33

Thor@Flanders

Hello kagerato,

Thanks...this info makes me one more at ease newbie (in Arch) - the full system check happens every 23 (?) boot-ups, this time the system gave a fail and had to be re-booted, the previous time it rebooted too, but I dont know if it was due to a failed check.
I guess a read of the man page of FSCK and the use thereof could be called for.

But, all in all nothing to worry about.

Thank you very very much for this reply!

Wellness

Thor

#5 2010-09-24 20:56:55

Thor@Flanders

And...he did it again...there were 0.5 pct of non-contiguous blocks - doe she repair this? Do I need to start the repairs?

Thor

#6 2010-09-24 21:40:16

KimTjik

I'm not sure we're talking about a failed check here. Now you write about "non-contiguous blocks", which isn't the same as corruption. It could be described as file fragmentation. The figure is reported for your information. Nothing to worry about unless that figure suddenly grows to several percent.

#7 2010-09-26 20:52:26

Nepherte

0.5% non-contiguous blocks simply means that very small parts that make up a file are not right next to each other (contiguous) but are spread out over the disk. This can happen if there's not enough contiguous space to place the file in. This is by far no error.

#8 2010-09-29 10:43:56

Thor@Flanders

Ok,

(sigh of relief) - it seems to be on sda3 ... I may need to learn to "manage" my Linux instead of just "waiting for a clean-up to happen"

I should re-close this thread...

Thanks!

Thor

Board footer