You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-21 11:15:00

lilydjwg

Failed to make my own Vim.

I'd like to compile my own Vim, but `make` failed with the following error message:

gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK  -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng14     -g -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1     -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/i686-linux -DRUBY_VERSION=19  version.c -o objects/version.o
  gcc   -L.  -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic  -L/usr/local/lib    -o vim objects/buffer.o objects/blowfish.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o objects/ex_cmds2.o objects/ex_docmd.o objects/ex_eval.o objects/ex_getln.o objects/fileio.o objects/fold.o objects/getchar.o objects/hardcopy.o objects/hashtab.o  objects/if_cscope.o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o objects/main.o objects/mark.o objects/memfile.o objects/memline.o objects/menu.o objects/message.o objects/misc1.o objects/misc2.o objects/move.o objects/mbyte.o objects/normal.o objects/ops.o objects/option.o objects/os_unix.o objects/pathdef.o objects/popupmnu.o objects/quickfix.o objects/regexp.o objects/screen.o objects/search.o objects/sha256.o objects/spell.o objects/syntax.o  objects/tag.o objects/term.o objects/ui.o objects/undo.o objects/window.o objects/gui.o objects/gui_gtk.o objects/gui_gtk_x11.o objects/pty.o objects/gui_gtk_f.o objects/gui_beval.o    objects/if_python.o objects/py_config.o   objects/if_ruby.o     objects/version.o   -pthread -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0   -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lXdmcp -lSM -lICE -lm -lncurses -lelf   -lacl -lattr -lgpm -ldl     -L/usr/lib/python2.6/config -lpython2.6 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic   -lruby -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lcrypt -lm
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x14): undefined reference to `initarray'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x1c): undefined reference to `initmath'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x24): undefined reference to `init_struct'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x2c): undefined reference to `inittime'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x34): undefined reference to `initoperator'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x3c): undefined reference to `init_weakref'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x44): undefined reference to `init_random'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x4c): undefined reference to `init_collections'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x54): undefined reference to `inititertools'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x5c): undefined reference to `initstrop'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x64): undefined reference to `init_functools'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x6c): undefined reference to `init_bisect'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x74): undefined reference to `initunicodedata'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x7c): undefined reference to `init_locale'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x84): undefined reference to `initfcntl'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x8c): undefined reference to `initspwd'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x94): undefined reference to `initgrp'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0x9c): undefined reference to `initselect'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0xa4): undefined reference to `init_socket'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0xac): undefined reference to `init_ssl'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0xb4): undefined reference to `init_hashlib'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0xbc): undefined reference to `initsyslog'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0xc4): undefined reference to `initbinascii'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0xcc): undefined reference to `initcStringIO'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0xd4): undefined reference to `initcPickle'
objects/py_config.o:(.data+0xdc): undefined reference to `initzlib'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [vim] Error 1

Seems something wrong with python. It compiles without `--enable-pythoninterp`. Is this a bug in python? Is there a workaround?

#2 2010-09-21 14:53:31

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Failed to make my own Vim.

Why are you trying to build it by hand? Also, what version are you trying to build?

7.3 builds just fine with the PKGBUILD in abs, you can easily add +python and whatever you want to it and makepkg --pkg vim

Also, if you have X installed on your box, then just install the gvim package, it includes a vim binary built with all the fancy stuff enabled.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2010-09-21 15:25:43

lilydjwg

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Why are you trying to build it by hand? Also, what version are you trying to build?

7.3 builds just fine with the PKGBUILD in abs, you can easily add +python and whatever you want to it and makepkg --pkg vim

Also, if you have X installed on your box, then just install the gvim package, it includes a vim binary built with all the fancy stuff enabled.

I'd like to build it with my own patch to make middle-clicking on a tab close the tab, and to round up the number of lines and columns when the window size changes. I'm using the latest version (7.3 with 1-6 patches, 7 and 8 just released so I did not include them).

And also, though I'd like to use gvim, I don't like the toolbar. I am also glad to see my nick appears in the output of :ver. smile

#4 2010-09-21 17:29:24

lilydjwg

Hi there. I just retried to build my vim and it succeeded. What I did is `make clean`, `make distclean` and remove some files under src/auto, and then the error is gone!

#5 2010-09-21 17:49:31

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Always make clean before you rebuild

But anyway, you really should be using abs, no reason not to.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2010-09-21 18:14:11

lilydjwg

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Always make clean before you rebuild

But anyway, you really should be using abs, no reason not to.

Yes, abs is great, and I am learning how to use it. smile

Board footer