You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-24 14:25:16

Gen2ly
Website

[ Solved ] Lexmark printer installer with Arch? Fails to find USB.

Hello,

I just got a new printer (a Lexmark X2670) and found the scripted-installer.  When I ran the installer it began by installing the files and that went ok.  However, on the second step (where it asks me to turn on the printer and connect the USB) it fails.  The error I'm getting is, "Connect the printer to the PC with the USB cable.".  I've tried to manually set up the printer with the CUPS web-browser interface and am getting the same problem in the print jobs section: "The Printer cannot communicate with the computer.".  At this point I'm thinking I'm missing some library or something on my computer.  I got a pretty basic install (LXDE) and I just think I'm missing a library or two.  Any ideas?

Last edited by Gen2ly (2010-09-25 23:22:52)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#2 2010-09-24 15:40:54

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [ Solved ] Lexmark printer installer with Arch? Fails to find USB.

Run

udevadm monitor

Plug in the USB printer, switch it on, if you see stuff being printed on screen, you know Linux recognises the device. If that's not the case, then you have a big problem tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2010-09-24 15:45:17

olive

I do not know if it is related, but I have had troubles with the new cups using libusb instead of the usblp module. I have read in the forums to blacklist the usblp module but I had still troubles with my usb printer. I have rebuild the cups and libcups packages passing the "--disable-libusb" (or something like that, I did not remember the exact wording) option to the configure script; which solves all my problems. I think you can find a cups package build in this way in the AUR (cups-usblp) but I have not tested it, I have rebuild the cups package myself editing the PKGBUILD to add the option to the configure script.

#4 2010-09-25 21:37:48

Gen2ly
Website

.:B:. wrote:

Run

udevadm monitor

Plug in the USB printer, switch it on, if you see stuff being printed on screen, you know Linux recognises the device. If that's not the case, then you have a big problem tongue.

Thanks .:B:. for pointing this out.  Wasn't aware of udevadm before, and helped me to discover if the cable was the cause of the problem.

olive wrote:

I do not know if it is related, but I have had troubles with the new cups using libusb instead of the usblp module.

Hit the nail on the head.

olive wrote:

I have read in the forums to blacklist the usblp module but I had still troubles with my usb printer.

Huh, I just read my rc.conf and discovered that I had the 'usblp' module disabled.  Not sure just why I had previously done so, but am now telling Arch to automatically load it.

olive wrote:

I think you can find a cups package build in this way in the AUR (cups-usblp) but I have not tested it...

Perfect.  Just what I needed.  After building the cups package, restarting the cups daemon (might have rebooted), and modprobbed the module, I was able to get to complete the installer and now my print jobs are running as expected.  The real question here (to me) is why this needs to be done:  Is this a temporary thing or is the new way that cups will do things?  Anyways, it is fixed and I appreciate your help Olive, .:B:. .

#5 2010-09-25 22:21:38

hokasch

From cups 1.4 release notes:

USB printer support; the usb backend now uses libusb when available to allow it to better work with third-party scanning and printing solutions.

Maybe the Lexmark software relies on usblp, but cups favours libusb if not compiled with --disable-libusb. If so it should generally not be necessary to blacklist usblp though... It seems to depend a lot on the printer hardware, from this note in the wiki.

#6 2010-09-25 23:22:21

Gen2ly
Website

hokasch wrote:

From cups 1.4 release notes:

USB printer support; the usb backend now uses libusb when available to allow it to better work with third-party scanning and printing solutions.

Maybe the Lexmark software relies on usblp, but cups favours libusb if not compiled with --disable-libusb. If so it should generally not be necessary to blacklist usblp though... It seems to depend a lot on the printer hardware, from this note in the wiki.

Good to know, thank hokasch.  I just put up a page on the wiki for Lexmark users.  Appreciate the help guys!

#7 2011-01-19 13:01:23

pjezek

The problem is back again for me. My Samsung 2010 USB printer lost a connection some fortnight ago. When I plug on and plug off the cable, udevadm monitor remains silent. The serious note is, that one family laptop with Ubuntu and the other with Mint find the printer without any problem, while my Thinkpad and a desktop PC with Arch here fails. I guess a reasonable issue must exist if package maintainers understand the diffs and take it in the account... I do not want to say what archers realy do not want to hear smile
I post it here because Samsung as well as Lexmark USB printers were those often mentioned in wiki and troubleshooting articles as failing...

Last edited by pjezek (2011-01-19 13:06:46)

Our tomcat for your mice! Archlinux for your comps! Alfa Romeo for your roads! Faster running guaranted!

Board footer