You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-25 14:24:19

jlacroix

USB Stops Working, Hardware or Software Issue?

I am having a strange problem with my laptop. It's a Dell Latitude E6410. I noticed this problem for the first time yesterday.

Whenever I'm home, I plug in a USB keyboard, USB mouse, and sometimes my PSP to charge or add files. All of this normally works. Yesterday, I was deleting everything from my PSP hard drive, and in the middle of doing so it just disconnected. I noticed that my USB keyboard and mouse stopped working too, my mouse didn't even have the laser lighting up on the bottom. I restarted and everything was fine.

Last night I put my computer on standby, and just now I woke it back up. Upon doing so, none of my USB devices were functioning again, and I had to restart my laptop and that did fix it.

My confusion is whether this could be a software issue or hardware issue. I've never had an issue like this before. I notice that my mouse doesn't start working and my PSP doesn't start charging until after Arch starts to boot, so I wonder if there is a daemon that might be dying or something?

My laptop is under warranty so if it's a hardware issue I'm covered, though if I call Dell tech support I'll have to put my Windows hard drive in it (which I keep just in case I have to call tech support) but I thought I'd ask here before I go through all that.

#2 2010-09-25 17:12:58

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: USB Stops Working, Hardware or Software Issue?

Perhaps it is a software issue since it occurs after putting the laptop in standby.

Some BIOS programs have a legacy USB entry.  Perhaps that needs attention for whatever reason.

If on internal power, low battery charge could introduce discrepant behavior.  This is not likely if on wallwart power.

Review recent upgrades for clues to the solution.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2010-09-25 17:26:25

jlacroix

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps it is a software issue since it occurs after putting the laptop in standby.

Some BIOS programs have a legacy USB entry.  Perhaps that needs attention for whatever reason.

If on internal power, low battery charge could introduce discrepant behavior.  This is not likely if on wallwart power.

Review recent upgrades for clues to the solution.

It doesn't happen only after standby. The second time it did, but the first time it happened right in the middle of transferring files from my PSP.

#4 2010-09-25 17:32:43

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps the two instances aren't related.

The reason I suggest software is that it happened after standby for sure.  The other instance could be something else.

Perhaps it doesn't occur always from standby?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2010-09-25 17:45:51

lilsirecho
Veteran

The only common item in the USB area for these devices would be addressed by the entry of ...usbinput... in rc.conf daemons.

EDIT:  I assume, only assume, that you have the PSP plugged in all the time whether using it or not.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2010-09-25 17:47:51)

#6 2010-09-25 18:15:38

jlacroix

The problem doesn't always happen after resuming. The PSP isn't always plugged in, but it's been plugged in all day yesterday and today.

#7 2010-09-25 18:34:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps if the PSP is active when you go to standby, the problem shows up when resuming?

#8 2010-09-25 18:46:36

jlacroix

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps if the PSP is active when you go to standby, the problem shows up when resuming?

Just tried it, and it came back up fine. I don't know what the pattern is. sad

Board footer