You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-07 05:45:15

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

recent pkg search

i'm sure this has been suggested before but could we get pacman - to offer us a list of new pkgs nice we last updated?

It personally am always on the hunt for new pkgs and with some many repos: official, TUR and UOR - it would be great to see what people are adding to their repos rather than just updating them.

In the hunt for new pkgs this would be great - and surely it can't be hard to achieve

i could set up a script that does

for repo in {listofallrepos} ; do
pacman -Sl >$repolist
done
pacman -Syu
pacman -Sl >new$repolist
done

diff $repolist new$repolist
done

(that is off my head) but if it is that easy surely pacman can do it!

#2 2005-03-07 12:48:39

cmp

Re: recent pkg search

i think pacman should support SQL wink

#3 2005-03-07 16:18:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

cmp wrote:

i think pacman should support SQL wink

and should be scriptable in Basic

#4 2005-03-07 21:29:17

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I am for leaving pacman simple. If you can write a script to do it externally....then...why not just do that?
Keep pacman simple....
simple simple simple..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-03-08 04:53:03

ganlu

When pacman has to deal with thousands of hundruds of packages(that's the trend I believe), that will be a good thing to consider a database backend, and then will easily gain many new features to end user. Have to find a good balance point in features and keeping it simple.
Keeping it as possible as simple is not always right, neither does adding new features

#6 2005-03-08 09:06:43

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i don't think this would complicate the functionality at all - i 'm sure within the mechanics of pacman it covers this already - i'd just like to see a switch so we can see it

#7 2005-03-08 16:51:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ganlu wrote:

Keeping it as possible as simple is not always right, neither does adding new features

You seem to have missed the arch philosophy... the entire distro is based around simplicity... so saying simplicity isn't always right kinda makes me wonder why you're using arch.

I for one think that is a feature is scriptable in under 10 lines then it shouldn't be added to anything.

Hell, hotplug is almost all scripts and that's created by people who know much more than any of us here...

Board footer