You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-27 13:57:37

Yarui

CMOS Losing Time

I have been having an issue with this shuttle pc I have sitting in the corner of my room. I haven't used it for a few months and it never had issues before, but when I turned it on a few days ago for the first time in 3 months, I had to set the CMOS clock. After unplugging it and then restarting it a few minutes later it lost the time again. It keeps time fine when it is plugged in, but not when it is unplugged. I thought the motherboard must have needed a new battery, but I have already replaced the battery and it is still doing the same thing. Does anyone know of any other possible causes for this problem?

#2 2010-09-27 14:01:25

karol
Archivist

Re: CMOS Losing Time

What do you mean "plugged in", it loses time on reboot?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time#Time_Skew

#3 2010-09-27 14:08:25

Yarui

Re: CMOS Losing Time

What I mean by plugged in is that the machine has a power cable attached to the power supply, plugged into the wall.  It's not turned on but it must still be supplying the motherboard with enough power to keep time properly.

I'm not talking about a time skew, I mean that it is totally losing time like if the motherboard battery were dead.  I start it up and it has an error and I go into the BIOS to set up the CMOS clock, and it is set to the year 2005.  I set it to the right time and when I turn off the machine, if I unplug it the next time I turn it on it will say it is 2005 again.

Board footer