You are not logged in.

#51 2005-03-11 00:54:00

joe
Website

Re: KDE 3.4.1 in [extra]

When I installed it on my machine, it worked fine, but last night I installed it on another machine, and in /etc/profile.d/, I only had kde.csh, instead of kde.sh.  I fixed it by hand, but it may be something to look into.

My 'good' version has both a .csh and .sh version...

Should the C-shell version even be included?

-Joe

#52 2005-03-11 07:36:34

tpowa
Developer

@joe:
your problem sounds really like the upgrade bug, please reinstall kde with 'pacman -S kde'.
and take a look at the wiki.
greetings
tpowa

#53 2005-03-15 08:35:02

tpowa
Developer

please enable khotkeys in kcontrol then it works

#54 2005-03-15 13:26:05

xerverius
Website

I've also installated KDE 3.4 on a brand new Arch install, but when i open konqueror the entire system locks up....and the only option is the reset button.
I know it's in testing, and unstable but i'd like to know if more people have this problem.

And for logs? where can i find the kde log.

#55 2005-03-15 13:29:23

tpowa
Developer

it is not unstable the packages are the final ones.
you have no backtraces?
you have read the wiki?
please post more else it's pretty hard to say where the problem is.
you run all packages from testing? also qt?

#56 2005-03-15 16:26:04

kill

xerverius wrote:

I've also installated KDE 3.4 on a brand new Arch install, but when i open konqueror the entire system locks up....and the only option is the reset button.

I just upgraded everything to KDE 3.4 and the same thing is happening to me.  I did follow the wiki and remove then installed.  I am running everything from testing.  As far as logs go, I can't find anything either.

#57 2005-03-15 16:52:13

xerverius
Website

tpowa wrote:

it is not unstable the packages are the final ones.
you have no backtraces?
you have read the wiki?
please post more else it's pretty hard to say where the problem is.
you run all packages from testing? also qt?

Jep i run everything from testing and everything is up to date. I'm gonne take a look in de logs and when i find something i'll post it.

#58 2005-03-15 19:07:27

kill

I found another way to completely freeze x and kde.  In Quanta use the add image button on the tool bar, then open a png.  I have checked every log on my system and I can't find anything about what is causing or happening with these lockups.

#59 2005-03-15 19:09:38

tpowa
Developer

are you using composite extension of xorg?

#60 2005-03-15 19:24:11

kill

I am not using the compostite extension.  It is png images, that is the problem.  Any png image causes konqueror to freeze the entire system.  Im going to see if reinstalling libpng makes a difference.

#61 2005-03-15 19:26:36

tpowa
Developer

for me png's work just fine

#62 2005-03-16 07:47:11

tpowa
Developer

everything was moved to extra, enjoy the new kde release and please keep an eye on this thread and the kde wiki.
thanks
greetings
tpowa

#63 2005-03-16 11:19:06

allanon

I have the same problems as those just mentioned. Kcontrol, konqueror/web and konversation locks up the whole x server (Can not use ctrl-alt-backspace or switch to console) if I try to start them. Konqueror/homedir worked fine.

I also tested this with a new user, and Konq (Web) and kcontrol locks up the x server the exact same way. Could have done some more testing, but I have to reboot every time it happens, so takes a bit long to troubleshoot.

Yes, using testing, also with new QT.  Tried to remove kde and reinstalling it, but still no go. No composite extension.

#64 2005-03-16 11:32:06

tpowa
Developer

do you run hal and dbus?

#65 2005-03-16 12:05:18

tpowa
Developer

oh yes an other one:
do you guys with hard freezes run strange kde software that is not in our repos?
i can'T find konversation in any of the repos. (tur,official) perhaps your apps need rebuilds against new qt and kdelibs?
do a pacman -Si kdelibs and pacman -Si qt and watch the output carefully.

#66 2005-03-16 13:08:54

puntmuts

Mmz, I upgraded last night using a pacman -Syu. That didn't work very well, so I went to the wiki to perform the steps described there. But after removing/reinstalling KDE 5 times there was no way in getting a menu for normal users. However as root I had a menu. So I reverted after trying all kinds of things like:
- removing every trace of KDE in the /home/dir
- copying and chown the settings of root to that /home/dir .

Another thing was that Konsole wasn't able to present any prompt at all, probably due to the fact that it couldn't find any fonts. 
It was an unprepared update so I will make an attempt later today after reading some documentation about the issue. I wasn't running hal or dbus daemons, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

But first I want a total backup of my arch partition, so I will be able to revert without losing anything.  Let's say my first attempt failed.

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

#67 2005-03-16 14:08:48

allanon

Yes, hal and dbus are running. You were right about Konversation. I had built it myself some time ago. Rebuilding it again fixed that crash.

I removed a few packages I had built myself, like kde-bluetooth and kmldonkey, and one of them fixed so I now can open Konqueror (web) too. Seems easily crashable, though. Some pages hard-freezes my pc again (Removed flash, so not that one).

Another thing I noticed is that aKregator, which starts when I log in to KDE, works partly. I can click and select the different feeds in the left pane, but at the moment I click a "story" in the right pane, it locks up. I guess it could be related to the html parser (which I guess is Konqueror, or a lib from it).

I'm not sure what to look for here:

(allanon@seier ~) pacman -Si kdelibs
Repository        : extra
Name              : kdelibs
Version           : 3.4.0-5
Groups            : kde
Provides          : None
Depends On        : arts>=1.4.0 aspell bzip2 cups fam jasper kde-common>=3.4.0
                    libart-lgpl libidn libxslt mdnsresponder openexr openldap
                    openssl pcre perl x-server
Conflicts With    : None
Replaces          : None
Size (compressed) : 20275044
Description       : KDE Core Libraries
MD5 Sum           : 40d1f7a836059df5cb3abab7dc3e4f90

(allanon@seier ~) pacman -Si qt
Repository        : current
Name              : qt
Version           : 3.3.4-5
Groups            : None
Provides          : None
Depends On        : libjpeg libpng x-server
Conflicts With    : None
Replaces          : None
Size (compressed) : 8986501
Description       : The QT gui toolkit.
MD5 Sum           : 4f86f3ed66e76073325c102bf31775eb

So, status: kcontrol still crashes on startup, Konq works enough for me to browse these forums.

#68 2005-03-16 14:29:32

puntmuts

LoKaDah wrote:

Please take this out of extra immediately as it's not ready to be live yet. Breaking something as important as the menu on a routine upgrade is unacceptable.

I agree to that. And I didn't have any custom packages installed, not a single TUR or TESTING package. So it seems to me it breaks a "standard" ArchLinux system . It looks to me that there are more problems with this version, not only the pacman problem. 

However I am willing to do some testing and see if I can this thing make work. I will give feedback about my attempts in this thread. smile

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

#69 2005-03-16 14:45:49

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Kde not working at all here  :cry:

Mr Green

#70 2005-03-16 16:06:38

tpowa
Developer

at all claimers:
the packages were in testing for 10 days, noone claimed for anything,
It seems, now we get the trouble of:
why should i use, i wait because it's in testing.
I fixed quite some annoying bugs and it's the best kde release ever.

All i can say: the packages do work on my 3 pc's the upgrade procedure is described.we have now a wiki which should help. what else do you need?
i don't want to break any system but kde 3.3 to kde 3.4 has a lot of changes in it.
Please read the wiki, the announces and the ML before! pacman -Syu.
upgrading a system blindly is not really good.

I'll not release new kde packages, because they work if you install everything right.
sorry for the trouble, i have caused but please read the stuff i post.

i updated the wiki again.
thanks to all that helped me in the testing phase.
greetings tpowa

#71 2005-03-16 16:30:33

puntmuts

Okay, this is what I did:
I removed all KDE and QT related apps using pacman -Rd kde qt etc . Deleted the entire /opt/kde dir and the /opt/qt folder.
I performed a system upgrade after that using pacman -Syu. I rebooted my machine and created a fresh user called testkde. Installed the new KDE packages using pacman -S kde . I modified rc.conf to start hal and dbus. Then rebooted (just to be sure) and logged in as this new testkde user. I edited the .xinitrc file to use kde.  I started X and it seems to be working okay.  Konsole works, menu is there so no problems at first sight.

Next I have to try to use my existing user account and see what happens then. I will delete the file/dir as described in the wiki document.

My intention was not to disqualify your work, but I had some serious problems on my system. I followed the instructions in that wiki document but  that was after I installed the whole thing. It did not help. I did not expect an update which would break my kde when installing it the normal way the way it did. It did take quite some time to fix the whole thing.

Update: my normal user has a menu and a working konsole as well. So this method seems to work,  next I will try to install the Dutch language support. smile

update 2: installing language support and applications went well, so except for my dri support in X it seems to work well.

update 3: DRI was unrelated to this update. Solved. big_smile

Out / Gone
Done. Goodbye.

#72 2005-03-16 17:04:34

allanon

tpowa, I am really sorry if I sounded like I was bitching, that was not my intention at all, and I do appreciate your work, and understand we are in no position to demand anything from you.

When that is said, I can tell that MY problem (I.e. hard freezes in various places in KDE) is solved. I blamed everything from libpng to ms-ttf-fonts, but no matter what I uninstalled, it was still the same.

One of the places it crashed, was when I tried to load the Reinhardt context browser style in amaroK 1.2.2.   As loading the style is such a small operation, I thought I'd drop by #amarok on Freenode to ask what happens in details when a style is loaded.

Leinir, God bless his soul, suggested it was the new nvidia drivers. I hadn't really noticed the new nvidia drivers, as they came at the same time I updated kde and QT. "Madness", I thought, because everyone knows that buggy drivers crashes totally at random, or when you switch a graphics mode, e.g. to OpenGL.   

I had a look in my /var/cache/pacman/pkg, found an older package, and... that was it. Back to stable.

Nvidia. Bloody nvidia.

--
Edit: To clairfy: nvidia-1.0.7167-2.pkg.tar.gz bad. nvidia-1.0.6629-5.pkg.tar.gz good.

#73 2005-03-16 17:23:52

puntmuts

I had X freezes when using this nvidia drivers on my other machine, using the KDE 3.3.2 packages. It seems these drivers are broken and it is not related to any KDE package. When reverting to the nv driver the freezes were gone big_smile

Out / Gone
Done. Goodbye.

#74 2005-03-16 17:27:25

cascat

I am one of the testers of the new KDE packages and installed each release as tpowa posted them.  Sure there were some problems but tpowa responded quickly and solved them.  Anytime there is a major desktop upgrade there is going to be some upgrade issues whether it be Gnome or KDE, a kernel, ati and nvidia drivers.

However, whenever a maintainer is slammed such as occurred in this thread shows a lack of appreciation for their efforts.  They perform this service for us in their spare time between their jobs and school.  KDE is a massive and complicated package which takes many hours to compile and post.  Yet, when there is a problem the maintainer is criticised and arch is degraded.  These negative responses are not encouraging to the maintainers who are vital to the success of ArchLinux, which in my opinion is the best linux distro available today.  We must support their efforts and help them in correcting any bugs!!

OK, rant over!  Thanks tpowa.

#75 2005-03-16 17:51:11

apeiro
Daddy
Website

tpowa: fwiw, your instructions worked fine for me here on my one kde box (though I have a pretty vanilla setup here):

# pacman -Rd kde
# pacman -Sy kde

tpowa's actually catching flak for a problem that is out of his control -- the pacman bug that necessitates the little -Rd/-S trick above.

To explain it a bit, pacman has a bug where it doesn't handle files that move from one package to another very well.  And annoyingly enough, KDE has a tendency to move files around in their source packages.

Example:  Say kdelibs has a file called X in it.  In the new release, this file belongs to kdebase instead.  Now kdebase gets upgraded first, so pacman adds the X file from that package.  When it comes time to upgrade kdelibs, pacman first removes the old kdelibs package.  In doing so, it unknowingly has just erased file X which, for that brief window, belonged to two packages: the new kdebase and the old kdelibs.  When the new kdelibs is installed, it does not contain the file X, so the file is missing and the kde install is effectively broken.

I know about the problem and I'll have a fix for it, but not in time for this upgrade.  So the -Rd/-S trick is necessary to get everything working.

Thanks for the new KDE release, tpowa.  I don't envy you for having to maintain this beast.   wink

Board footer