You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-28 17:59:30

Google
Website

(solved)Laptops, Intel Atom and kernel-ck (bfs)?

I have a netbook with an Atom CPU. I am thinking about using the ~ck kernel with BFS and some patches like hyper threading enabled. Do you think it's a good idea for a netbook?

Last edited by Google (2010-09-29 17:34:17)

#2 2010-09-28 19:59:27

Cdh

Re: (solved)Laptops, Intel Atom and kernel-ck (bfs)?

I tried the -pf kernel on my mainpc and it runs well, so I also put it on my netbook. Does also work well. smile

Thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103462
But the repo doesn't get updated often...

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#3 2010-09-29 05:37:49

Google
Website

I am curious a bit about hyper threading. The Atom says it is supported, so I am wondering if you patch the kernel to use it, will it split the CPU in half in two virtual mini processors (that is hyper threading after all...). For instance, a 1.6 ghz Atom will be split into two virtual 800Mhz processors? or is it implemented another way?

I don't really think I need tuxonice, since my total startup time is like <15 seconds, but it may be nice to keep the state of everything I was doing. I may look into it!

#4 2010-09-29 09:18:53

Gusar

Google wrote:

I am curious a bit about hyper threading. The Atom says it is supported, so I am wondering if you patch the kernel to use it, will it split the CPU in half in two virtual mini processors (that is hyper threading after all...). For instance, a 1.6 ghz Atom will be split into two virtual 800Mhz processors? or is it implemented another way?

You mean you haven't had hyperthreading activated yet? I find that hard to believe, unless you were using a custom kernel, because the stock Arch kernel has hyperthreading support.
Hyperthreading does not "split" the processor, it gives you two logical 1.6Ghz processors. And it's the saving grace of this proc, it's pretty much crap otherwise. Well, it's not much even with ht. But it at least allows you to play 720p video.

As for using BFS with it, totally. With such a crappy proc every improvement is welcome, and BFS does make a noticeable difference.

#5 2010-09-29 17:33:24

Google
Website

Thanks, I hadn't checked if it was enabled by default, but I guess it is. I was just reading through different kernel patches and was trying to get an idea of the best setup. It sounds like I have a good idea now, thanks!

Board footer