You are not logged in.

#26 2010-09-30 14:22:20

Demon

Re: KDE without GTK depencencies

Well, this topic got me interested now... Seems that Koffice can do almost everything OpenOffice and Gimp can. big_smile Gotta try as soon as possible. I don't use Firefox, so this isn't a showstopper for me to finally get rid of gtk. big_smile

#27 2010-09-30 16:52:21

Teho

It's bit hard to get by without flashplayer which would be my last GTK-app.

Rekonq, which replaced my last "real" GTK-app, chromium, is pretty powerful browser, it lacks some important features like detachable and reattachable tabs (with mouse) and has graphical glitches like the scrollbar but anyhow the kde integration is worth it. The cache feels incredibly fast, if I have loaded page once, the next time it loads literally instantly - other browsers have slight delay.

KOffice is definetly nice project. It's fast and the UI desing fits my tastes (low vertical space usage fits nicely wide screen). However it too has some glitches, annoying bugs and the interface should get some rearrangements. As far as I know the first relase for "normal" users is the next one, 2.3.

Overall, it seems that GTK-freeness is not that far away. I for example don't use flash for anything else except for playing internet videos (HTML5 youtube doesn't work on rekonq and some sites don't have non-flash players), HTML5 revolution and some developement in qtwebkit probably makes it possible to ditch flash without loosing anything too important. Can't wait tongue

#28 2010-09-30 16:54:19

karol
Archivist

Teho wrote:

It's bit hard to get by without flashplayer which would be my last GTK-app.

Rekonq, which replaced my last "real" GTK-app, chromium, is pretty powerful browser, it lacks some important features like detachable and reattachable tabs (with mouse) and has graphical glitches like the scrollbar but anyhow the kde integration is worth it. The cache feels incredibly fast, if I have loaded page once, the next time it loads literally instantly - other browsers have slight delay.

KOffice is definetly nice project. It's fast and the UI desing fits my tastes (low vertical space usage fits nicely wide screen). However it too has some glitches, annoying bugs and the interface should get some rearrangements. As far as I know the first relase for "normal" users is the next one, 2.3.

Overall, it seems that GTK-freeness is not that far away. I for example don't use flash for anything else except for playing internet videos (HTML5 youtube doesn't work on rekonq and some sites don't have non-flash players), HTML5 revolution and some developement in qtwebkit probably makes it possible to ditch flash without loosing anything too important. Can't wait tongue

You can use tools that download the video and play it in your mediaplayer, like youtube-dl etc.

#29 2010-09-30 17:05:06

Teho

karol wrote:

You can use tools that download the video and play it in your mediaplayer, like youtube-dl etc.

Yes I have tried couple of those. Minitube seems the best way to go, but it's too unstable and those solutions aren't graphically pleasing either. Even bigger problem would be that there's probably hundreds of flash video players (I can think of 5 which I use almost daily) and no one can support 'em all.

#30 2010-10-02 16:09:08

Hyugga

I fixed firefox and thunderbird whith some nice themes and with that "File_picker" or something option.
But i have a problem with wicd-client-kde. When i install it, it has wicd as dependency, so it has to be installed too. In the wicd wiki says that you have to put wicd in your daemon array, but with the wicd-clien-kde installed, i have two managers running, the GTK and the QT.
Does anyone knows how to run only one of them?

Thanks!

Last edited by Hyugga (2010-10-02 16:10:07)

#31 2010-10-02 17:11:40

Anonymo
Website

Hyugga wrote:

I fixed firefox and thunderbird whith some nice themes and with that "File_picker" or something option.
But i have a problem with wicd-client-kde. When i install it, it has wicd as dependency, so it has to be installed too. In the wicd wiki says that you have to put wicd in your daemon array, but with the wicd-clien-kde installed, i have two managers running, the GTK and the QT.
Does anyone knows how to run only one of them?

Thanks!

You have to run pacman -Rd or Rsnc wicd and install wicd-nogtk from AUR.

#32 2010-10-02 21:12:19

Hyugga

It worked! Thanks a lot Anonymo!

#33 2010-10-05 06:45:38

b9anders

for thunderbird, I'd definitely recommend giving Kmail a shot. Kde's PIM suite is very powerful and featureful and imo one of its strongest selling points.

For Firefox, if you do not have very specific addonn demands, Opera is in many ways a superior browser.

#34 2010-10-05 07:00:00

axel668

Skripka wrote:
csslayer wrote:

for firefox, try firefox-kde-opensuse on aur.

Be warned...you're in for some long compile times.

Even after all the compiling/patching, FF still doesn't look like a native KDE app.

When I was running SUSE, I used the "Oxygen KDE" Theme on top of SUSE Firefox ...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59338

that's as close as you can get to a "native" look & feel

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#35 2010-10-05 11:03:24

Demon

axel668 wrote:

When I was running SUSE, I used the "Oxygen KDE" Theme on top of SUSE Firefox ...

Yes, but what if someone wants to completely get rid of gtk2? smile

#36 2010-10-05 11:33:45

Emericn6k

Demon wrote:
axel668 wrote:

Yes, but what if someone wants to completely get rid of gtk2? smile

... He would probably use rekonq (which is really getting good) or Konqueror instead of Firefox?

"In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows"

#37 2010-10-05 13:48:06

jlacroix

I thought I would join the conversation too and mention some of my struggles, as I want a pure Qt system too but it's really hard to do.

First, Firefox. I love Firefox to death, and I am VERY dependent on the bookmark sync feature. As far as I know reKonq (which is great) doesn't do that. I like to have the same bookmarks at home (all Linux) as I do at my desk at work (Windows). Since there are no cross-platform browsers that aren't GTK dependent, this makes using reKonq or similar impossible. I'd consider reKonq if it had a way to sync bookmarks with other reKonq installations at the least.

As for Thunderbird, I find it the only email client worth using. Kmail is nice in theory, but for me it's completely unstable. On all the systems I tried it on, it had the same issues. For example, I could go several hours without a single email message. If I told Kmail to check my mail, it would, and then report back that there are no new messages. Then, on a whim I check my webmail, only to find that I've been getting a steady flow of emails the entire time that Kmail couldn't detect unless I close Kmail and restart it. (It seems as though Kmail's ability to pull in new emails dies without notice). I had other issues with Kmail but that's the one that sticks out.

As for chatting, I use Pidgin. IMHO, Kopete cannot compare because I find it very difficult to use. (Maybe I'll give it another chance though).

If Kmail is better now, and if reKonq has some sort of bookmark sync option, I'd consider trying them out again.

#38 2010-10-05 18:27:57

Demon

I've just tried rekonq, and it's great! However, my primary browser is still Opera. smile
Regarding Koffice: I use it now instead of OpenOffice and Gimp, and it's actually good! Kword still lacks some features I need, but I can live without them for now. The only thing left is (goddamn) flashplugin. At the moment I'm compiling gnash-kde4. I hope it can play at least YouTube videos. smile

#39 2010-10-05 20:22:54

Demon

Demon wrote:

At the moment I'm compiling gnash-kde4. I hope it can play at least YouTube videos. smile

Nope... Still dependent on gtk2. sad

#40 2010-10-06 06:00:53

b9anders

jlacroix wrote:

First, Firefox. I love Firefox to death, and I am VERY dependent on the bookmark sync feature.

You can always go to the browser that introduced fullscale synchronisation - Opera.

Last edited by b9anders (2010-10-06 06:01:10)

#41 2010-10-06 10:19:10

Demon

b9anders wrote:

You can always go to the browser that introduced fullscale synchronisation - Opera.

Not only that - you can use the same profile directory across platforms. All settings, bookmarks, mail folders, everything can be shared between windows and linux installation (for example).

#42 2010-10-07 06:58:20

gaelic

Here are my packages that depend on gtk2 at the moment:

flashplugin  go-openoffice  libgpod  opencv

Flash is a pain in the ass anyways. Hopefully it will be deprecated sooner or later when HTML5 establishes;
openoffice is neccessary for work, can't through that away; koffice2 will take at least another year to be there i guess
libgpod, well need that for amarok (unless i buy a new mp3 player without encrypted loading (c) Apple, i hate the guys for that and many other things)
opencv is a kipi-plugins dependency, anyone knows why and ifs there an alternative?

#43 2010-11-13 13:12:28

manutortosa
Website

Gtk libs are not "the dark side", if you want a clean KDE/Qt environment, remove any non really needed GTk lib and app, for instance, why FireFox if you have Rekonq, Konqueror. Opera or Arora as Choice? but you need flashplugin and OpenOffice so keep a clean system with 2/3 Gtk deps it's pretty clean until you find good replacements if they never come.

Manuel Tortosa
manutortosa@chakra-project.org
The Chakra Project

#44 2010-11-13 15:27:19

Primoz

I don't even try to remove gtk2 from my KDE, I know that untill I'll use my current computer I'll have to use gtk2 because of nvidia-utils.
But then there's the Open-Office, which I'm really used to, so I don't know if and when will I jump to KOffice...
But browsers, IMs and stuff like that can be easily changed from gtk apps to qt apps.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#45 2010-11-13 17:44:27

Teho

Primoz wrote:

I don't even try to remove gtk2 from my KDE, I know that untill I'll use my current computer I'll have to use gtk2 because of nvidia-utils.

It's optional depency, only needed for the graphical settings manager. If you don't use that, then there's no need for gtk2 and most likely all the same settings can be changed from commandline too.

#46 2010-12-30 01:11:00

manutortosa
Website

Primoz wrote:

But then there's the Open-Office, which I'm really used to, so I don't know if and when will I jump to KOffice...
But browsers, IMs and stuff like that can be easily changed from gtk apps to qt apps.

nVdia provides a cli replacement, nvidia-xconfg for this.

Manuel Tortosa
The Chakra Project

#47 2010-12-30 08:29:23

kaszak696

What's the point in having GTK-free system? Just slap oxygen-gtk theme on GTK apps and you are good. Handicapping your os just because "OMFG I don't wanna GTK!" is just silly.

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#48 2010-12-30 11:59:25

sredna

I use a few GTK apps in a KDE environment, currently using the QtCurve widget style, which provides a gtk style as well, and use common settings (configured in kde systemsettings). This way GTK apps fits in nicely. There is also a oxygen-gtk style and iconset that should work nice if you like oxygen.

For integrating firefox, there is an addon for using plasma notifications.

#49 2010-12-30 22:00:53

Leonid.I

Yes, thank you! I almost switched to konqueror in KDE...

Also, flash, gnash, thunderbird -- these are gadgets smile What do you do without gvim?

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#50 2011-01-07 09:16:19

manutortosa
Website

sredna wrote:

I use a few GTK apps in a KDE environment, currently using the QtCurve widget style, which provides a gtk style as well, and use common settings (configured in kde systemsettings). This way GTK apps fits in nicely. There is also a oxygen-gtk style and iconset that should work nice if you like oxygen.

For integrating firefox, there is an addon for using plasma notifications.

A Chakra developer it's creating a KCM for systemsettings called Chakra GTK Settings to install and configure GTK engines and icons themes, completelly made in Qt, wich makes possible to remove GTk from Qt and still configure de gtk look of our bundles (of course will work for any other app) without actually having gtk installed. The idea its replace gtk-chtheme and gtk-icon-theme-changer and add themes directly from gnome look.

As it's C++ code will create a package for AUR when done so you can use it in Arch, stay tunned smile

Last edited by manutortosa (2011-01-07 09:18:45)

Manuel Tortosa
The Chakra Project

Board footer