You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-02 20:19:35

rnabioullin

udev rules question

I have a pl2303 converter which appears as /dev/ttyUSB0, owned by root,uucp. I do not want to run minicom as root nor do I want to add myself to the uucp group, as either of these approaches lend themselves to potential issues to the system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would need this udev rule:

KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]", MODE="0666"

I have not written any custom rules before, and therefore my /etc/udev/rules.d dir only contains two 75-*.rules.optional files. Obviously I should create a new *.rules file with this rule, but I'm concerned that a custom rules file will inhibit the implicit default rules in /lib/udev/rules.d and I'm unsure which integer to precede the custom rules file (greater than the default?).

#2 2010-10-02 20:31:29

skanky

Re: udev rules question

You generally want your rules file to be first, so most people tend to do it at 10-....
If you build your rule correctly, it should not affect the other rules - you should uniquely identify the device and make sure it doesn't accidentally pick up other devices. You should be able to find an attribute (eg vendor and/or model) that helps.

This is useful, though a little out of date (the command to get the device information is wrong now, and some fields have changed).
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

See also man udev and man udevadm  to update the information in there.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#3 2010-10-02 22:46:05

rnabioullin

Re: udev rules question

Thanks, it works now.

Board footer